barbermonger: a one on one roleplay search forum

WELCOME TO BARBERMONGER
WHAT IS BARBERMONGER?

BARBERMONGER is a site designed to help roleplayers find other roleplayers, specifically one-on-one roleplayers, as opposed to larger roleplay games. Functioning like a pinboard, BARBERMONGER allows users to create advertisements, bump advertisements, and respond to other advertisements, without requiring them to register an account. However, registering an account will allow you to edit your posts, find your own topics, and use the private messaging system.

HELPFUL LINKS:

BARBERMONGER RULES
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
TODAY'S ACTIVE TOPICS
MEMBERS
SEARCH WITH JCINK
SEARCH WITH GOOGLE

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

BOOZEMONGER, the drinking thread
bird
 Posted: Jul 25 2015, 09:13 PM

number one dad
Group: Members

Awards:

user posted image

i know i can't be the only lush on barbermonger so let's get some booze recommendations going!

so, fellow (of age in your appropriate region) drunks: what are you drinking (responsibly) these days? when do you drink it? what do you like about it? in an effort to keep with the spirit of the cbox conversation that spawned this thread i will try to keep mine mostly to beer, but feel free to chime in with WINE and LIQUOR and MIXED DRINK recommendations. (also, it's summer, and summer is for beer in the opinion of this author, and maybe mojitos or a proper margarita on a patio with your legs kicked up and the sun on your face.)

i would maybe recommend including (as vaguely as you want) the region you're in, especially when it comes to beer, but otherwise -- have at it, drunken friends!

skoal, salud, sei gesund and na sdoroviya~

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Lucyfer
 Posted: Jul 25 2015, 09:24 PM

Awards:

There's a pretty delicious Elderberry mulled wine that I love that's local, but I know they sell it in Illinois, so you might find it in places besides Kansas/Midwest.

Wyldewood Cellars Elderberry Mulled Wine: Click

I think that's it >.> if so they changed the logo since I last bought it. They have other good stuff, too, but that's my favorite.

--------------------
user posted image
PMWebsite
^
abbey
 Posted: Jul 25 2015, 09:27 PM

Awards:

user posted image

1 1/2 oz. amaretto liqueur
1 oz. simple syrup
3/4 oz. fresh lemon juice
1 orange slice
1 maraschino cherry

amaretto sour is the lord's drink. properly prepared, with fresh lemon and homemade simple syrup, it tastes like sour candy and summer -- and you get to lick the last drops off your maraschino cherry and orange twist. you make it frothier by adding and frantically whipping a fresh egg.

disaronno is the smoothest liqueur i've had. 5/5.
PMEmail
^
Lucyfer
 Posted: Jul 25 2015, 09:28 PM

Awards:

!!!!

Abbey, amaretto sours are like my favorite thing! You have fantastic tastes, and I will search out this disaronno.
PMWebsite
^
bird
 Posted: Jul 25 2015, 09:39 PM

number one dad

Awards:

some things that bird is drinking:

(i am in SOUTHERN ONTARIO, CANADA and you can probably guess very easily what city that indicates)

user posted image
side launch wheat beer: originally branded as denison's weissbier, this is fucking delightful on a hot day. nice slightly hazy wheat beer with a little lemony/clovey/coriander-y hint to it. good patio drinking, or everything drinking, and you can buy tall cans of it and it's great. summertime, and the living is easy because you're drinking this.

user posted image
la fin du monde: i think i might just like beers that can fuck you up. this is probably the easiest drinking of all of them, though. it's a tripel, it's 9%, and it never feels like it. also, the last time i drank this, i was sitting on the edge of a cliff dangling my feet over the water and looking at a sunset, and i would recommend all future drinking to be done (safely) in this manner if possible. name is also good for pretending you actually absorbed anything from canadian french education. blanche de chambly, if you want something more reasonable that's also popular at parties, is by these same guys and very good. if you like side launch or hoegaarden you'd probably like it too.

user posted image
aventinus eisbock: this is what happens when monks decide to take a perfectly good (and also good drinking) doppelbock, freeze it, take the water off the top, continue fermenting it, and then sell this to idiots such as myself. it is a whopping 12% alcohol but not bitter and not at all like the jet fuel it sounds like. it is -- and i say this as someone who loves it -- one of the weirdest beers i've ever had. but it's nice and kind of reminds me of something plummy and wintery without being cloying. also, you can terrify people with it, because even self-proclaimed Beer Snobs will just not know what the fuck to even make of it. they will leave you alone, and you will get drunk.

user posted image
dieu de ciel's rosee d'hibiscus: almost everything that dieu de ciel makes is great and makes me happy but you should drink this because it's pink and it's the summer. in the winters, peche mortel is a guaranteed WILL FUCK YOU UP, DARKER THAN NIGHT coffee imperial stout that i love dearly. however, sometimes you don't want the beer equivalent of combat boots to the face. sometimes you want the beer equivalent of a kitten heel, or a nice sandal. i am not a foot fetishist, but this is that beer.

user posted image
affligem abbey blonde: belgium, belgium, where would i be without belgium? i can't be allowed to visit for the sake of my liver, but i think that this -- and leffe blonde (or the brun) -- are a pretty good start if you've never had belgian-style beer before. la trappe is delightful and so is chimay, but i feel like affligem is the one you want if you want something that's light and refreshing but still interesting? also you can make sexy blonde nun jokes if you're a bad person, and me.

(also recently i was recommended a beer by toronto's INDIE ALE HOUSE called "cockpuncher". i will purchase it, barbermonger, and let you know how it goes. )
PMEmail
^
bird
 Posted: Jul 25 2015, 10:01 PM

number one dad

Awards:

lucyfer, abbey:

i love amaretto sours and i want to try this elderberry thing!

also petition to make the amaretto sour the official barbermonger drink (unless someone wants to make our own cocktail, which would be awesome)

does anyone have any bourbon recommendations? i am clueless and i like drinking it but i'm more used to rye and i can't tell right from left in the bourbon world.
PMEmail
^
Mog
 Posted: Jul 25 2015, 11:04 PM

Awards:

I love amaretto sour! I had one two years ago, and I drank it like it was water lol.

But here's some generic things I drink. I don't drink often, like once every 2-3 months.

Wine: Moscato's and Rieslings. i heard these are the gateway wines..so maybe it will expand my pallet. Lol. I can't drink red yet, at all. And then I can't drink too much of the others as well because its so sweet.

Beer: Corona, Corona Light. (With lime.) If I go out this is my drink of choice. (Also beer is cheaper sooo.)

I tried Yuengling recently. It's lager.

I'll drink things like Pina Colada's and Strawberry Daiquiri's. Mojito's are good also (haven't had one in like 8 years tho lol.)

My shot of choice is Soco and Lime, after that I'll switch to beer. Honestly a shot and a beer will keep me feeling pretty good for a while.

smile.gif
PM
^
XANDER
 Posted: Jul 25 2015, 11:48 PM

tiefling bard
Group: Admin

Awards:

drink vodka from the bottle and chase it with a paper carton of apple juice, as seen here, circa siberia 2010

that said, if i had to recommend a drink for taste, it would be the Ramos Gin Fin

user posted image

• 1/4 cup (2 ounces) gin
• 1 dash (3 to 4 drops) orange blossom water*
• 1 large egg white
• 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) half-and-half
• 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) fresh lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) fresh lime juice
• 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) simple syrup
• 1 cup ice cubes
• 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) seltzer

SUPER DELICIOUS

that said i prefer to drink apple cider, gin + strawberry lemonade, or crown royal + cranapple juice, because i am super lazy, and am not that big of a beer person. :B

--------------------
user posted image

PMWebsiteAIMYIMMSN
^
Lar
 Posted: Jul 26 2015, 11:50 AM

viewing online list
Group: Moderator

Awards:

when i go out: Malibu Bay Breeze. I have no idea how to make them but they are basically my perfect tropical sweet drink for those nights when i want to be on the beach.

when at home: malibu mixed with one of these OR whatever fruit juice is around. i am not ashamed of having had capri-sun based alcoholic beverages.

(can you guess by now what my favorite liquor is)

my other half is a big fan of raspberry or cherry flavored lambic, and i recently tried a brown sugar lambic which was weirdly good, but other than that i am not a beer drinker.
PMEmailAIM
^
mezmusic
 Posted: Jul 26 2015, 04:08 PM

Awards:

Whiskey.
PMEmail
^
bird
 Posted: Jul 26 2015, 04:30 PM

number one dad

Awards:

QUOTE (mezmusic @ Jul 26 2015, 05:08 PM)
Whiskey.

you. i like you.
PMEmail
^
bird
 Posted: Jul 26 2015, 04:55 PM

number one dad

Awards:

in the interests of full disclosure i created this thread and wrote those beer recommendations while drinking a generous double of this last night:

user posted image

i am no vodka connoisseur so all i know is that man this one goes down really easy.

wine-wise i really like malbecs! the argentinian ones, not the french ones. otherwise i'm pretty apathetic/ignorant about most wines. really dry white wines are nice but not terribly interesting to me, but i won't turn them down. i do like champagne, though, or prosecco, which is more within my budget.

on another note -- if anybody wants hilarious improvised cocktail recipes from being far up north with nothing but canned goods and questionable booze, i am your girl. among my drinking bonafides i would like to list my invention of the "whiskey hot shit", which was named after drinking three of them out of a plastic bowl. unlike the ramos gin fizz xander posted, though, i don't think it will net 4/4 stars on epicurious, although i can assure you it does everything you want a drink called the "whiskey hot shit" to do.
PMEmail
^
knox
 Posted: Jul 26 2015, 10:28 PM

basically a ghost

Awards:

i am not a beer drinker.

when it comes to alcohol my mantra is go hard or go home. if i am drinking chances are i am drinking to get drunk and it makes no difference to me at all if it tastes like tire gloss. (and if it does, i probably like it.)

my go to:

whiskey neat, please! bar-wise jameson or powers (~7-8 bucks per glass round these parts) is usually what i'll settle on as anything upwards of that is too expensive and anything downwards is probably jack. but when it comes to taste, which it sometimes does, AND if i had my way, i'd be drinking yamazaki 12 yr all day err'day. i'd lose my job and probably die, but that's okay because i would be afloat in a sultry, flavorful paradise. yamazaki is rich, smokey, and smooth the way whiskey should be. plus it has a delicious hint of fruit and a spicy finish. it's expensive (google tells me it's sold anywhere from 89-115 us dollars per bottle) and i haven't been able to find a more affordable alternative to it.
user posted image

mixed drinks:
the gin and tonic (w mint and/or cucumber) which speaks for itself:
user posted image
it says "helloooo i am summer in a glass. you will drink me from june to august yet you will not wish to forget me once the season is over"
("unless you are mixing me w sprite in which case you have completely destroyed me and how dare you *slap*")
1-2 oz gin of choice
4 cucumber slices
1/4 lime, sliced
4 oz tonic water
any number of mint leaves (although imo 5 is a good amount)

the dark temptress negroni:
user posted image
2 ounce gin of choice
1 ounce sweet vermouth
1 ounce campari
twist of orange peel
(make sure you BURN that baby before you embellish your drink- i promise it is worth the extra flick of the lighter)
the recipe can be altered to taste. i generally go a little lighter on the vermouth because i don't like its syrupy sweetness to overwhelm the campari and gin. but even with the extra vermouth, the negroni is still a bit of a sadist. she's a slow sipper for most, as her cloak of red campari tends to be unforgivably bitter.

the greyhound:
user posted image
"myshka, i am just 3 parts unsweetened grapefruit juice and 1 part vodka and i am still the best piece of ass you are ever, ever going to get"
okay no, but the greyhound is tasty and i never get bored of it. on those nights where i want to drink within in the comfort of my home and not regret my life choices (i.e. downing a bottle of tito's in a tub full of bathwater made from my tears) i whip up one of these babies. it's easy, it's tasty, and you can spice it up w whatever you want.

last but not least, there's the korean liquor makgeolli:
user posted image
this guy is made from rice and flavored with chesnut or fruit. it's on the sweeter side, has a milky look, and a slight fizz to it. makgeolli only has a 6-7% alcohol content, but it's got this very interesting, delightful texture and i always consume enough of it it be adequately buzzed.
PM
^
Bleedpretty
 Posted: Jul 27 2015, 03:36 AM

animal impulses

Awards:

This thread makes me ridiculously happy.

I am also a huge fan of whiskey. I typically drink it more in the winter than I do in the summer though, my summer drink is beer. I have a lot to say about beer, I could go on and on, but I shall try to keep this relatively short and sweet. I am personally an IPA fan, I'll drink most anything on the lighter side but I do love my hops.

My current summer beer of choice is Fresh Squeezed by Deschutes. Citrus notes keep it light and fruity but it still has that wonderful hoppy bite.
user posted image

My other go-to currently is Sweetwater 420 by Sweetwater brewing. I'm not sure what to say aside from that this beer is just good.
user posted image

Pretty much any beer by O'dell is wonderful in my opinion. I really like their tree shaker (a peach flavored beer), and of course their IPA. I'm going to comment on their double IPA this time though. Myrcenary is a great double, it doesn't have that over the top boozy taste that some doubles can have.
user posted image

My last mention for beer will be Weekend Warrior by Karbach. I have to mention our local brewery because it is wonderful. I would live there if it wasn't such a drive, it's sort of difficult to find a DD who will drive 45 mins each way AND put up with my obnoxious drunk self.
user posted image

Now for the whiskey! Man I love whiskey, and I take mine with a touch of water or maybe a few cubes of ice. Typically I gravitate towards scotch, but I also really love bourbon.

For scotch I will mention my two favorites. The first is Bunnahabhain. I've only tried the 12 year, it's an amazing scotch. Soft with a wonderful finish, it's definitely a favorite.
user posted image

The second, and my all time favorite thus far, is the 15yr Tobermory. I had the good luck of trying this at a friend's house and I've been in love ever since. A little water just opens this baby right up. A wonderful scotch, though very pricey sadly.
user posted image

I'll finish with a bourbon. Willett Pot Still reserve is a great one. I don't have much to say, just that it's tasty.
user posted image

The last thing I will add is a recipe for a mixed drink! I'm not a fan of sweet drinks, as you can probably tell by my booze choices, but I have to admit that this is ridiculously tasty.

Key lime pie martini

1 regular lime
Monin- key lime pie flavor only! Lime will not do.
Sweet and sour
Half and half
Pineapple juice
Midori
Vanilla vodka

1. Cut lime in half and juice, squeeze over ice in a tumbler.
2. Add a spash of monin and a splash of sweet and sour
3. 1 shot half and half, 1 shot pineapple juice, 2 shots midori, 2 shots vodka.
4. Shake and serve.

user posted image

--------------------
And I watered it in fears,
Night and morning with my tears;
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.
PMEmail
^
Poette
 Posted: Jul 28 2015, 12:50 AM

Awards:

Special Drinks:
Amaretto Sour – lemon juice & amaretto. though apparently I need to jump the bandwagon and try Abbey's recipe.
Dark & Stormy– rum & ginger beer/ale.
Baileys + Hot Cocoa – mm. who doesn't like this?
Peach Bellini – or some other variant of champagne + fruit because yes yum

Whiskey: Bulleit Rye

Wine: New Age (Essentially Chilled Sparkling Wine in Red/White/Rose) v. tasty. v. sweet.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
Shadowplay Roleplay Gateway Fragile Things

skin created by they-go of RCR, CAUTION, they go and wombat designs