|BARBERMONGER - a one on one roleplay search forum||one-on-one ads Search Members Help|
|Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )||Resend Validation Email|
WHAT IS BARBERMONGER?
BARBERMONGER is a site designed to help roleplayers find other roleplayers, specifically one-on-one roleplayers, as opposed to larger roleplay games. Functioning like a pinboard, BARBERMONGER allows users to create advertisements, bump advertisements, and respond to other advertisements, without requiring them to register an account. However, registering an account will allow you to edit your posts, find your own topics, and use the private messaging system.
Posted: Mar 17 2017, 11:23 PM
Joined: 20-January 16
Do you love space and science fiction? Do you love writing and everything that goes into the creative process? More importantly, are you looking for a rp buddy who loves these things too? Then this is the ad for you! If you're the type of rp buddy who'd like to keep me up until 3am (when I have work in the morning) talking about your characters and plots--YOU'RE HIRED.
Okay, so a bit about me first. You can call me Aether or Asha (whatever flavour you prefer). I'm a twenty-something space ace fumbling about in EST, wondering what I'm doing with my life. I work too many hours and haven't been in the rp game for a while but I've been wanting to give it another shot! On a good day I like to believe I'm easy-going and mature... at least when it matters (otherwise not really; I'm actually 5 l o l). Anyway...
I'm looking for a writing buddy just as much as a rp buddy. I'd like to find someone passionate about character development (my fave thing) and the creative process in general. Someone fun, easy-going, and imaginative who I can talk to for hours about what makes characters tick. I want to hear about your latest creative project, share my own, and just chat about writing stuff! And of course it'd be nice if you're also an actual child like me who indulges in the "occasional" rp crack chat because why not. It's no fun being serious all the time.
That being said: on to the fun stuff. Variety in rp is the best and it'd be great to rp in original settings with original ocs but I also need my fandom fix. If you haven't guessed already I mostly want space and sci-fi related rps, but I love variety and I don't mind veering off the celestial track for other things but--more on that later. For now I'll list some of the subjects and fandoms that I most want to explore:
some subjects/sub-genres (to start out with)
- artificial intelligence/androids ❤️ (with all the ethical, existential, and philosophical goodies that would entail)
- creator and creation dynamic (see above)
- space voyages and exploration, scientific or otherwise
- search for extraterrestrial life
- alien civilizations/cultures/technology
- epic world-building
- hard sci-fi
- fantasy/supernatural sci-fi!
- retro-futuristic sci-fi
- sci-fi horror
- science gone wrong (see above)
- science vs spirituality
- the future of humanity, transhumanism, and how space travel factors into it all
- terraforming / colonizing planets
- space technology and industry
- etc etc &c
now some fandoms that I'd love to play around in!
- TOS/AOS Star Trek. Ideally I'd like to play Spock or Jim/Bones/Sulu but I'm up for playing ocs in this universe as well. If I'm playing one of the triumvirate it'd be great to have romantic or platonic soulmate (or even better: up in the air) relationships between the three! Oh, and if you'd rather set up shop in another Trek setting that's fine too. TNG, for example. I'd love to play Data. In fact he may be the Trek character I want to play most atm.
- Star Wars. Any time, any place, anyhow. I have a special fondness for the prequel era (prequel apologist and fan here!) but honestly, I love it all. Even swtor and the Clone Wars tv show so if you want a rp to tie into those that's cool too. I'm good with canon and oc characters though I would especially love to play Obi-Wan or Luke because I adore them.
- Alien franchise. I recently finished Alien Isolation and I've been craving some chest-bursting alien fun ever since. Samuels was especially a delight in that game so I'd definitely rp him alongside Ripley or an oc. I've even thought of creating a working joe oc as well. We aren't limited to AI though and could go in a totally different direction in another time/place.
- Other video game universes. Tbh I love too many video games and I'm lazy so just ask me about this one if that's your thing.
Now onto a few crucial details that I'll put in list form for the sake of convenience (and again, laziness)
rating/limits: I'm fine with almost everything. Violence/gore (no sexual violence though, please), substance abuse, and swearing don't bother me so have at it! That being said, as a sex-repulsed asexual I'd rather not go into detail with sexual encounters so fade-to-black is a must. Though since my characters all tend to be ace too even that probably won't happen much if at all. Sorry if you read all this for nothing lmao.
Also I don't rp with anyone under 18 either and I'd prefer my partner to be at least 21.
If you're still reading then on to the finale!
shipping/pairings/relationships: I like shipping within reason but I also like to have variety when it comes to rp relationships. It'd be great to explore familial relationships, platonic soulmates, enemies, frenemies, bffs, and everything in between including the hard-to-define ones! If I have to be limited to the typical pairing formula I get bored quick and I prefer things to happen naturally or not at all anyway. Romance takes a back-seat to developing organic relationships.
characters: my absolute favourite part of rp and writing in general is character development. Playing a variety of characters makes me happy and I try to make every one unique. All of them tend to be non cis-het and of many species/colours/sizes so hopefully that's alright!
non-sci fi genres: obviously sci-fi is the focus of this ad but I also have a wide range of interests so I don't mind throwing in some other things for variety. And here are a few:
- mythology/mythological creatures
- fantasy/urban fantasy
- a mashup of any and all the above
rp style/medium: I rp in the third person and past tense. I don't mind experimenting with different forms of rp and I like various related things (oc diaries, poetry, fanfic) but this is generally what I stick to and I'd like my rp partner to have the same preference! As for medium I generally use email/IM/tumblr/gdocs etc but I'm willing to branch out as long as I don't have to join a public forum.
schedule/speed: I try to match my partner's posting speed and word count but since I work (and have a cantakerous muse) that isn't always the case. So I ask that you (pls) be patient with me when stupid reality and my stupid brain get in the way.
Anyway this has gotten way too long so I'll wrap things up here. If you're interested in being my rp buddy or if you have questions/reservations please feel free to pm me! I try to be as accommodating and flexible as possible and I'm really quite friendly so don't hesitate to reach out to me if you're interested. (:
Posted: Mar 19 2017, 09:11 PM
Joined: 19-March 17
Sending a PM your way ^-^