barbermonger: a one on one roleplay search forum

WELCOME TO BARBERMONGER
WHAT IS BARBERMONGER?

BARBERMONGER is a site designed to help roleplayers find other roleplayers, specifically one-on-one roleplayers, as opposed to larger roleplay games. Functioning like a pinboard, BARBERMONGER allows users to create advertisements, bump advertisements, and respond to other advertisements, without requiring them to register an account. However, registering an account will allow you to edit your posts, find your own topics, and use the private messaging system.

HELPFUL LINKS:

BARBERMONGER RULES
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
TODAY'S ACTIVE TOPICS
MEMBERS
SEARCH WITH JCINK
SEARCH WITH GOOGLE

Add Reply
New Poll

Kingdom Hearts: New Life [Closed], Whee~
Lucyfer
 Posted: Sep 17 2014, 09:14 PM

Group: Members

Awards:

Aerith Gainsborough.

It was a name that rung through a certain history, and her legacy had spread throughout the universe. It was her name and her face that decorated the television in the dim room within Hollow Bastion’s castle. Mako eyes observed her with compassion, and more than a little guilt.

‘Sins of the father….’

The mako eyes closed. The man with the baritone voice continued to speak of her legacy, and of Cetran history. There was a mention that her place of death had been lost when that world was destroyed, in the end, by a meteor. The denizens of the world scattered. Cid Highwind had saved many. Cid, Cloud, Tifa, and others had lived in Radiant Garden, before that world, too, was lost to the darkness.

The eyes opened slowly as talk continued about the powers of materia, alight with a new idea. The door to the room was quickly pushed open, television left abandoned and turned on, as the woman strode down the halls.

She looked as if she belonged, and in truth, she felt as if she belonged most days. Radiant Garden had become a haven of darkness, and she was a creature of darkness. The keyblade proved it. The Keyblade of Darkness had come to her months ago, manifesting in her hands just when all hope had seemed lost. Even so, it was not her preferred weapon. She kept a katana at her hip at all times, preferring it to the keyblade. It drew less attention.

She was dressed in dark hues to match, black pleather pants and a black shirt that only had one sleeve. A fiery heart was emblazoned on the front of it.

Where the other sleeve should have been, instead, was flesh. There was reason for this, as the left shoulder was weighed down by a single black wing. Her parentage was no mystery to those who shared the history of Aerith Gainsborough, though she liked to hide it. She and her father had never met, but she doubted they would see eye-to-eye on anything. Her father had been a soldier, once. He had used his position and power to lay with women, and her mother had been one of many.

Her mother had been one of those who escaped the world with Cid Highwind, and she had established a life here. So had she, and she had refused to leave it.

Of course, that meant she had aligned with Maleficent—not a popular choice, to say the least, but she had her reasons. The heartless were the main reason—the heartless that everyone chose to neglect and slaughter en masse. Genocide.

The heartless had been just like them, once.

Krystal Itzume, keyblade wielder of darkness, sought to help them.

That meant working with the witch, whom she walked in on within the chapel, another meeting with her many contacts over the universe.

“Don’t you knock?”
Demanded Oogie Boogie.

A hand was held up. Maleficent looked on her, a woman almost as tall as Maleficent herself, “Whatever troubles you now, dear?”

Always maternal. It was annoying. “Hades refuses to restore Aerith, correct?” Hades was right there. She did not address him. She looked at Maleficent, for Maleficent could force his hand.

Maleficent kept her gaze level with the woman standing opposite her crystal ball, “That is correct.”

“Have you considered she might be one of your precious princesses of heart?”

The thought had not occurred. “I do not believe that she would be one of them. Her story is quite exaggerated, and her purity, questionable.”

Well, it had been worth a try, “Either way, you don’t need me yet, do you?”

“Not at present. Why?”
An amused quirk of the lips, “Do you intend to defy Hades?”

“The Promised Land is outside his domain. I think he’s refusing to bring her back because he cannot.”
There was some laughter from the others.

Hades seethed, “I own all the souls!”

Krystal clicked her tongue on the roof of her mouth, “We’ll see,” and she turned around and walked out, shutting the door just as she heard Hades explode in a rage towards Maleficent. Her life was questioned—her usefulness.

Maleficent was using her calming tone as Krystal continued away. She didn’t need to understand the words to know what was being said. Being a keyblade master had bought her life many times with that group, because without a keyblade master, they could never open their precious Kingdom Hearts. They had a willing pawn in her. She wanted to open the door, but not for the same reasons.

The heartless in the castle did not rise up to attack her. Few ever did, anywhere, any longer. ‘Not since….’ But a sigh broke the thought.

She walked to the docks which were in disrepair. Most of those who came here did not utilize ships. She and Hook were a dying breed. Maleficent and the others preferred to use dark magic, and while Krystal would agree that it was quicker, it was also more damaging. She might be the dark keyblade master, but she wasn’t stupid.

She entered her red gummi ship and let her fingers glide over the buttons to start turning it on. “Hello, Ragnorak,” misspelled on purpose. She remembered when Cid had been willing to help her learn the art, before…

Another shake of the head. ‘He has to talk to me.’ He was in Traverse Town now, she knew, with the others who fled Radiant Garden. He might know something, though. If she could restore Aerith, perhaps he’d believe that her intentions weren’t tainted. Perhaps he’d listen about Kingdom Hearts.

She brushed strands of red hair back, always glad her hair hadn’t gone silver. “All right, let’s warp to Traverse Town,” she spoke aloud before moving through the actions to turn the ship that way.

--------------------
user posted image
PMWebsite
^
artiststape
 Posted: Sep 20 2014, 11:30 PM

Awards:
N/A

"Don't you have any tasty beverages?" A coy grin characterized the sentence.

"Are you even old enough to drink, baby lizard?"

"Man, it's gria. I'm a gria!" The dragon-like girl glowered her golden eyes at the man who seemed to tower over her. She nearly rammed him with her head, but he was careful to dodge her as the ivory horns growing out of her skull would have been a painful experience.

It wasn't a surprise to Sreda that many didn't know what she was- even in her own world, her origins were very strange. Here, in Traverse Town, many a strange person walked through. It made her feel...more at home, as if she was still in Ivalice. On the other hand, even the strangest hume she would meet gave her a double take. After all, she did little to hide her leathery wings and tail.

Cid shook his head with a small smile and began to tend to his shop. Flapping her wings a few times, the warrior leapt into the air and flew herself over to the end of the counter where she plopped herself down, watching him.

"It's not like you get much business around here. I mean, who has the munny to afford a whole gummi ship?" It was true- Sreda was broke.

"Perhaps if you spend less time doing nothing, you would have the munny." Another voice spoke, one with much more sophistication and self-entitled arrogance. Sitting in a chair not so far from the other two sat Jyscal.

It had been quite awhile since Sreda could remember why she was friends with the man. She considered him her best friend, of all things.

"You're one to talk. All you do is pray to Yav-one or whatever."

"Yevon!" Now that Sreda began to think on it, she did remember Jyscal talking about himself at one point. He spoke of a striking resemblance to his father- strange, bark-like blue hair, and his veins were excrutiatingly prominent on his face. He also had the strangest anatomy- he was incredibly tall, taller than anyone she had ever met, and his hands seemed too big for his body, with claw-like hands.

Even Cid sometimes commented on how curious it was a strange bond between the two of them had formed. Sreda was just as ignorant as Jyscal was egotistical. But, as the times would have it, both Sreda and Jyscal bummed around Traverse Town, trying to find work, surviving on what little they had.

The dragonkin leaned back on the counter, resting her head and letting her bobbed green hair spill back onto the surface, staring at the ceiling. Jyscal and herself, she often realized, had little to do with the relief effort. How long had it been since their worlds were destroyed? The woman had not even looked into a reason why or if she could change it.

Maybe it was the youth that resided in heart, or maybe it was fear. Sometimes Sreda even wished that she had the devotion that Jyscal did- he was never afraid of what was beyond the afterlife, as his death was always meant to serve his god.

"You guys will eventually have to start paying rent if you stick around for much longer." Cid spoke up, watching the two of them.

"When a Temple of Yevon is built, I will gladly cease causing you grief." Jyscal answered.

"And when adventure walk through that door, then I'll gladly leave, too." The woman chuckled before sitting up off the counter, stretching her wings and limbs.
PMWebsite
^
Lucyfer
 Posted: Sep 21 2014, 07:55 PM

Awards:

Adventure would walk in combat boots and a black trench coat, meant to hide the single wing that was furled underneath it, uncomfortably, but it was better than walking around with the wing being obvious. Krystal Itzume knew Cid’s shop, and knew she would be recognized.

She had not expected him to have guests, though. Her mako eyes widened ever-so slightly as they took in those guests, both unrecognizable so far as species and names. She had not encountered a gria or a guado before.

Even so, she paid them little mind. They were not important at the moment, and did not think they would have any bearing on what was about to happen, unless they were mercenaries.

Cid turned as the little bell at the door rang, “Wel—hell no.” He stopped himself short. Krystal put a hand on her hip.

“Is that any way to speak to a paying customer?”
Of course it was. She had participated in destroying his home.

Cid might be older than he was when he had challenged Sephiroth with Cloud, but he still had his weapons and he had all of his old stubbornness. “I got no business to do with you. Get out before I call Leon.”

‘Leon?’
Krystal had no idea who he was referring to. She did not let her confusion show. She wouldn’t be pleased to know that Squall had changed his name. “Hear me out,” she said, bringing both of her hands up, not that it would be reassuring to Cid. The motion was still one of surrender. “I want to bring Aerith back to life. I want to buy some maps of the area around where Gaia used to be.” His planet.

His blue eyes burned holes into her. “Why should I buy that?”

“Would it do you any harm not to?”

“Yeah,”
he sneered, “For all I know, you want to go huntin’ for the black materia.” He was trying to offend her, she knew. Why had she ever trusted Cid with any information? She could have just let him pretend she was tainted during the geostigma incident and been done with it. Incurably tainted. Totally buyable. “Why the hell would you want to bring Aerith back? It ain’t possible. If it were, we woulda done it already.”

“When you were on Gaia, you did not know what a large universe you were in. I know more about it than you do, and I have an idea. If I do something wrong, tell Cloud.”
Once upon a time, she had sworn Cid not to tell Cloud about her existence. Somehow, she had avoided the man during his stay at Radiant Garden. It wasn’t hard. He was always off searching.

She feared Cloud, more than anything. Perhaps that was part of this, a thought now manifesting that if she brought Aerith back she could talk to Cloud. She could find out everything he knew from his hunts and his journeys.

Yes. Selfish reason established that was not the removal of guilt.
PMWebsite
^
artiststape
 Posted: Sep 21 2014, 09:59 PM

Awards:
N/A

Although Jyscal paid no mind to the customer, Sreda had an ear for gossip. Her eyes followed the woman and her conversation, curiosity filling them to the brim. Like finding fresh new weapons on the market, she was drawn to things that seemed new and exciting.

It was certainly obvious to Sreda that Cid and this new woman didn't like each other. There seemed to be some underlying tension between them, which nearly confused her. After all, Cid had a lot of patience to put up with people most of the time, so what had happened between these two to make him so angry?

'Aerith?' She mouthed, quickly thinking to herself and trying to remember where she had heard that name before. Her head drifted towards the TV, thinking about how she had watched something before about it. Of course, she hadn't watched all of it, considering that was a particular day when Cid had grown tired of the two holing up in his shop.

But the decision had already been made. This was her chance to get out of here! Even if only for a little while.

"C'mon, Cid!" With another leap, she glided over to the woman who had entered the store. "Hiya, I'm Sreda. That's Jyscal over there." Jyscal finally glanced up, frowning. He was not excited to be a part of whatever Sreda had in mind. "I don't know what you have in mind, but I definitely want in on it."

"Quit bein' a nuiscance-"

The dragonkin spoke louder to interrupt him. "Listen! It's a win-win. We're not useless, after all." Distantly, Sreda could hear a sigh escape Jyscal's lips. "The missus here can do what she needs to do, and you can relax knowing that we are there to make sure she doesn't do anything crazy, like whatever you said about the black hole."

"Sreda, don't be so reckless. We know nothing of this person, you can't just demand to accompany her." Jyscal finally spoke. He wasn't against leaving, but he certainly wasn't going to go anywhere without knowing about the strange woman in all black that walked through Cid's door. Bravery was a virtue the young gria certainly had, but he also knew that intelligence was not.

But what really ran through Sreda's mind was thoughts of home. If Aerith was really as good as everyone said she was, then perhaps she could have a clue to how to get back to her home? Or, if the worst had really happened, how to rebuild it?

--------------------
Winds in the east, mist coming in. Like somethin' is brewin' and bout to begin.
Can't put me finger on what lies in store, but I fear what's to happen all happened before.
PMWebsite
^
Lucyfer
 Posted: Sep 22 2014, 08:47 AM

Awards:

Support came from the peanut gallery. Krystal was caught off guard to hear the voice of the strangely reptilian woman speak up for her, and offer an alternative for Cid. Introductions were quick, and Krystal glanced from Sreda to Jyscal, who didn’t move from his spot.

Mentally, she nodded, as she heard the exchange and looked back to Cid, to Sreda.

This was…strange.

Jyscal was clearly the one with sense, but Krystal appreciated Sreda most in that moment because Cid was clearly considering what was being said. ‘Now, don’t get arrogant.’ She had to remind herself. Krystal was a fighter, through and through, so she tended to laugh at those who thought they could stand up to her. She had to remember that Cid was aware of this, and it wasn’t merely arrogance. If she was going to get anywhere with Cid, she had to make it appear that these two weren’t, as Sreda put it, useless.

“You have interesting helpers, Cid,”
she commented softly, “I would be willing to accept their companionship. Ragnorak is large enough to carry more than me,” they must have motives of their own, “and as she says, if I do anything crazy, they can always put me down.” She wouldn’t reject this idea out right. Somehow that seemed like it would be more suspicious.

She turned then to Sreda and offered a hand to shake, while her other hand moved behind her back and pinned itself against the small of her back, “I’m Krystal Itzume,” a glance to Jyscal, to include him so he knew who she was—at least by name.

“She converses with heartless,”
Cid glowered, figuring it was important they knew that, more than her name, if they were going to get involved with her. He had told both of them before it was likely the heartless destroyed their homes. They should know they were working with a home wrecker.

Krystal made no comment to that.

“But if you kids want to go ahead and do it, fine,”
he was quite irritated, but there was a part of him that wanted to hope, that dared to hope. “The maps are going to cost you.” Quite a bit more than he’d charge the usual customer, too.
PMWebsite
^
artiststape
 Posted: Sep 22 2014, 11:39 AM

Awards:
N/A

A near victory-like expression appeared on Sreda's face, her grin growing wide at Krystal's acceptance. She was quick to think that this new quest would be a piece of cake- after all, her clan at home cleared jobs with ease. What would make this any different? The young girl shook her hand.

Of course, she could feel Cid's stare at her back as he spoke of Krystal's association with the heartless.

Jyscal was quiet, staring at Krystal with indignant eyes. Before he could speak, Sreda's voice rang through the room once more, confident and frankly, a little ignorant, as well.

"Well, it's not like Leon and the others have any idea what they're doing right now." Even if she had a hard time putting puzzle pieces together, she wasn't totally out of the loop. As far as she knew, the others were trying to hatch a plan to find their own keyblade to begin saving other worlds. But they hadn't found it yet. And without it, they didn't have a plan. "Heartless or not, Krystal- it's Krystal, right?- seems like she has a noble thing in mind to do." Nodding in self agreement, she stepped out of the way of the taller woman.

Cid caught eyes with Sreda, seeming to converse quietly. He wanted to keep many safe, but Sreda was practically putting her life on the line with someone she had never met before.

It was hard for her to judge, because since this had all started, she had met many types of people. In Ivalice, you could judge their demeanor and personality simply on their race. A lot of them were the same.

"It is like you to jump headfirst into unknown situations." Jyscal spoke, standing and grabbing his staff. He was beginning to age, with facial hair growing in the same blue color. Even though they were friends, Sreda could not say that he had ever told her about his past, other than he hailed from a place called Spira. Secretive was a word that came to mind when she thought of him.

She sunk away slightly as money came into the conversation. Hoping that Krystal wasn't expecting her to pay a portion, she leaned against the wall, trying to act nonchalant.
PMWebsite
^
Lucyfer
 Posted: Sep 22 2014, 01:17 PM

Awards:

Krystal liked Sreda, for reasons that she knew were not good reasons. She liked Sreda because she was so quick to trust, when even Krystal would advise against it. She also like the optimism. It was a breath of fresh air. This sort of energy was not something she had found herself around in…years, if not ever. The people she associated with weren’t high-energy sorts. “It is Krystal,” she agreed quickly.

Noble.

She almost laughed.

Krystal turned so she could see both Jyscal and Sreda better when Jyscal rose. He held a staff, but Krystal doubted it was simply for him to lean against. Jyscal worried her, though she could not place why, except for his demeanor. She had a feeling it would not be wise to get on his bad side, something she couldn’t say for Cid. Perhaps Cid was right to trust these two with her.

Of course, now there was the map issue. At least she came prepare for this. She knew she wouldn’t get off cheap with Cid. She reached into a pocket inside her coat and produced the munny. She just laid it on the counter, knowing it was way more than any map could be worth. “Is that enough?”

Cid eyed it. He had a mind to ask for more, but a glance up at Sreda and Jyscal decided otherwise for him, “Yeah,” he said. “Gimme a second and I’ll go get the maps. Still Ragnorak?” He thought he heard it mentioned earlier. She nodded. “Good.” He knew what sort of maps would be required for easy input into the gummi’s system.

Cid walked to the back, and when he left, she turned to Sreda, “Why do you want to help me, really?” Jyscal was apparently her plus one, so she didn’t question his motives. He was tagging along because Sreda was.
PMWebsite
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
Shadowplay Roleplay Gateway Fragile Things

skin created by they-go of RCR, CAUTION, they go and wombat designs