barbermonger: a one on one roleplay search forum

WELCOME TO BARBERMONGER
WHAT IS BARBERMONGER?

BARBERMONGER is a site designed to help roleplayers find other roleplayers, specifically one-on-one roleplayers, as opposed to larger roleplay games. Functioning like a pinboard, BARBERMONGER allows users to create advertisements, bump advertisements, and respond to other advertisements, without requiring them to register an account. However, registering an account will allow you to edit your posts, find your own topics, and use the private messaging system.

HELPFUL LINKS:

BARBERMONGER RULES
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
TODAY'S ACTIVE TOPICS
MEMBERS
SEARCH WITH JCINK
SEARCH WITH GOOGLE

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

The Master Plan! (Doctor Who Roleplay) [Closed], Doctor Who rp, Master's story.
The Insurgency
 Posted: Nov 30 2014, 11:20 PM

Group: Members

Awards:

Everything went blurry, hazy. It was like Time had stopped, stopped then advanced quicker then ever.

The ground was cold, as the man pushed himself back up, he was laying on a sidewalk somewhere unknown to him. People walking by stared at him, but wouldn't stop. Eyes everywhere, mouths speaking rumors about him, it was sickening. Why were they staring at him? What gave them the right?

The man stood up, looking down at the brown clothing that covered his legs. The clothing did not suit the person he was now. These.. were women's clothes. A brown skirt, followed by a brown coat over his chest. Why was he wearing these? He couldn't recall, holding his head with both hands he stumbled forward. Passing a window to a shop, he looked at the reflection that was present. Long black hair, what seemed to be five o'clock shadow over his defined chin. He pushed his long hair back revealing a perfect hair line in contrary with the few grey strands that were hidden in his hair.

The man took a step back, looking back down at the brown coat.
"What....who am I?" He asked out loud. Suddenly almost in a burst of anger he grabbed the center of the coat ripping it off of him, the button flying to both sides of him. Under the jacket was a white dress shirt and tie but he ripped them off as well. His chest was now bare, the eyes staring even more now.

"GET AWAY!" he shouted out towards those passing by. His eyes widen, taking a few steps forward. He could feel the blood in him pumping as he slowly walked. Where to go? Turning to his right he saw a small clothing store. He entered the small department , still half dressed in the skirt. The cashier looked at him confused but was too scared to say anything. Walking down the aisle, the man grabbed a white shirt, a pair of grey jeans and a rather large over-coat. He stopped however when he picked up the coat. Suddenly while grabbing the coat the imagine of a spikey haired man in a similar jacket appeared in his head.

Shaking his head to get rid of the image, the man took the clothes he picked out and slowly undressed the rest of the way there. Once fully nude the man started to put on the new clothes, which suited him better.

--------------------
Let's Make This Showy!
PMAIM
^
The Insurgency
 Posted: Dec 1 2014, 12:00 AM

Awards:

"U-um...sir?" The cashier walked out from behind the register. "You have to pay for those first." His voice slowly trailed off as the man now in the over-coat turned his attention towards the cashier. Slowly the cashier backed up, the other man towered over, slowly cracking his neck with each step. "I-t is just custom to pay....I didn't mean any offense.." the cashier's movement stopped as he his back was against the counter. He looked behind him at the register but quickly turned back to the over-coat man.

"I need these." The taller man spoke slowly looking down as the shaking cashier. He honestly meant it, a man shouldn't walk around in women's clothing. He looked around the store seeing no one else but the two of them. Turning back , he moved his face closer to the cashier's. "How much is everything I am wearing?" He pondered to the man.

"F-for you, twenty pounds.. special offer." The cashier lied out of fear trying not to make complete eye contact.

"You're lying...I see it in your eyes." The over-coat man replied with a sinister tone.

"No I-i'm not, I swea-" The sudden noise of snapping bones filled the store as the cashier fell to the ground life-less. The man still standing, walked over his body, with a slight smirk.

"I hope that covers the expensiveness." With those remarks, he exited the store, changing the open sign to "close". Walking back down the street, the man in the over-coat passed through a small crowd of people, finally passing a woman and man walking in the same pace. He paid no attention to them, nor them to him he kept moving though. His pace was twice of theirs.

PMAIM
^
Lucyfer
 Posted: Dec 1 2014, 12:08 AM

Awards:

“You have the role!”

The strawberry blonde holding the phone had to suppress a squeal of delight, “They’ll expect you at practice next week, so be sure to take that time to research it!”

“I will!” Rushed, excited, the woman paced the hardwood floor of her apartment, anxious to get out immediately.

“I mean it,” the voice of her agent said, perhaps hearing the excitement and thinking the other woman wasn’t taking it seriously. “This is the sort of role that can make or break you, Ava.” The pacing stopped. “You don’t want to ham it up.”

“I wouldn’t,” she made sure to sound offended. “I’ve done everything well.” There was a reason they trusted her with this role, certainly. She had a good reputation behind her, even if her career was relatively young. “I’ll research it, I will.”

“Ok,” the agent sounded a bit relieved. “Set up a time to meet with me before that first practice, all right? We’ll have lunch to celebrate.”

Ava nodded, “I will. Thanks for the good news!”

“No sweat. Bye!” And with that, the click of being hung up on. Ava pulled her phone away from her ear, and let her hand fall to her side. Reality was a quick and cruel mistress to return to her, reminding her that she didn’t, in truth, know much about mental illness, nor the particulars for the woman she was playing.

It was a modernized version of Medea, and she was Medea. Bipolar, manic depressive in particular, with severe paranoia issues, that all lead to filicide when her husband can’t stand it any longer and claims he’s divorcing her. Medea never blames herself, of course. She imagines another woman in her husband’s life, and many other things besides. No, it is never her fault that she’s a controlling mess in an effort to deal with the paranoia that constantly gnaws at her.

It was a sad story about mental illness untreated, and unacknowledged, a sad reality of the world they lived in which looked at mental illness as more of a weakness than a true problem. ‘And if you muck it up, you’ll just make that worse.’ She bites the inside of her cheek, the panic rising.

Yes, she needed to do a lot of research.

Ava walks through her apartment and finds her messenger bag, into which she shoves her laptop and a few other things, before she changed into clothing more appropriate for going out. Clear heels, beige hose, black pencil skirt, and a white button-down shirt. She lived her life in roles, so that daily existence was almost a role anymore. If she was going to study, she was going to look the part so that it felt natural.

Yet, she didn’t tie back her strawberry blonde hair, nor did she add fake glasses to the ensemble. No need for such things. The hair was allowed to hang loose and fall to the middle of her back, while her green eyes were unobscured by such frames.

She put the messenger bag over one shoulder and walked out the door to head to the library, repeating a mantra that it would all be just fine. She’d get a few serious books on the subject, and check out some movies that depicted mental illness—fiction and non-fiction. Might even be good to grab a few fiction novels. ‘I’m not going to leave my home for a week.’ Well, at least she had such a luxury. She did make good money with this career, after all.

The library was a bit of walk from her home, but it was a nice day. That, and she didn’t own a car, so that option was out. ‘Get a bit of chai on the way.’ She was certain there was a café on the way. Her nerves were high.

It was that heightened anxiety that kept her alert, fortunately.

Her thoughts were distracted from that as she took a corner and almost ran into a man moving rather quickly. She managed to step back just in time, heels clicking, “Sorry,” were the first words out of her mouth, instinctive. Better to apologize than start a fight, even if he didn’t appear to be looking where he was going.

--------------------
user posted image
PMWebsite
^
The Insurgency
 Posted: Dec 1 2014, 12:20 AM

Awards:

The man in the over-coat stopped once walking into a smaller woman, smaller compared to him. He looked down at her, the blonde hair caught his eyes first. Staring at her bright hair brought back another memory, one of another male. Not like the last time, this man wore a black hoodie with jeans. The memory man's hair short then his, but their eyes were the same. Dark. Both men's eyes were dark, not much to them. Just as he was remembering more the man in his head, it vanished like dust. Gone in a instant. With the imagine gone, he focused more on the woman.

"Sorry? You're sorry?" He questioned her, taking a step closer. "Do you have any idea what you just did for me? You helped me, now why would you be sorry for that?" His tone was less sinister more desperate. "Why would you be sorry for helping me?!" His voice raised a bit, but he calmed himself. He took a step back. "No, I don't have time to waste on you. " He stated moving towards her side and continuing to walk.
PMAIM
^
Lucyfer
 Posted: Dec 1 2014, 12:32 AM

Awards:

Ava had never been confronted for making an apology before. Well, not on the street, anyway. She was startled by it, unable to just continue her walk by the stranger. ‘Am I in the wrong?’ Was the first thought, but it was dispelled by confusion as he commented that she had helped him.

Ava wanted to step back when he raised his voice, but straightened her back instead. She sought words to take back her apology, but he was breathing out others and walking on.

There was nothing familiar about him. No reason she could think of, no time she could remember, where she helped him, but she couldn’t let him walk on with that feeling that she’d been sorry for helping him. “I didn’t have any idea!” She called to him, now only able to see his back and that long coat, the long hair. “I’m glad to have helped, not sorry.” She clarified.

‘You don’t have time, either!’

“I hope you have a good day, and,” voice of reason went ignored, “if you need any more help, let me know.” Though she imagined he would walk on, and she’d not see him again, she did decide to wait a few seconds to see if there would be a response.

Ava could imagine her agent complaining in her head.
PMWebsite
^
The Insurgency
 Posted: Dec 1 2014, 06:55 PM

Awards:

The man stopped only a few feet behind her. He listened carefully to her words, turning a bit. Watching her speak them, the man smirked. Before she could get any real distance the man took a step forward.

"You are quite nice to completely random strangers." He stated about her just loud enough to catch her attention. "If you are willing to help, do you have something I can chew?" He asked taking another step towards her. "Maybe some sort of food, or anything really. The word "Regeneration" comes to mind for some reason. Does that word mean anything to you?" He pondered out loud towards her not giving her anytime to answer the first part.

He thought in his head about the word, "regeneration". It was a word he was more familiar with than his own name. He couldn't grasp the meaning of this mystery word, every time he tried another man's face would appear in his head. The first couple faces were older in style, as they went down the list the more modern, or what he observed as modern, they got. The man in the black clothing reappeared as did the man with spikey hair wearing a over-coat. He shook his head and looked forward at the woman.
PMAIM
^
Lucyfer
 Posted: Dec 1 2014, 07:03 PM

Awards:

‘Yeah, my agent’s not a fan.’ Her agent muttered about how that would have to change when Ava became more popularly known, lest she get taken advantage of by her fans. Ava just saw no reason to make someone’s day any worse than it already was. Little things went miles.

And at least she wasn't forgetting him. They didn't know each other, as he expressed, they were strangers. “I should have gum. I was going to swing by a café on the way to the library, though,” she could spare enough to buy him a meal if he was hungry, though she dug in her bag to locate the gum.

She found it as he mentioned regeneration. “Well, the word itself means something along the lines of renewal. Um,” she pulled the gum out of her bag, offered the package to the man so he could take a strip. They were cinnamon in flavor. “Like when a lizard loses its tail. Some lizards will regrow their tail. That’s a form of regeneration.” Examples had always helped her understand things.

“Besides that, I’m afraid the word has no meaning to me.” Just what the word meant. It was nothing special to her, not a favorite word, nor even a word she used all that much in conversation.
PMWebsite
^
The Insurgency
 Posted: Dec 1 2014, 08:00 PM

Awards:

He took the gum with his left hand. He studied the texture of it, he wasn't one hundred percent sure on what gum really was. With all doubts in his head he placed the small strip into his mouth, chewing down hard the first couple chews. The sticky substance clinging to his teeth was new, he wasn't sure if he had every tired gum. He stood still for a few moments just chewing along listening to her example of regeneration.

"So, its becoming new in a sense." He hummed to himself as he thought for a second. Yeah that seems to be right. "What's your name?" The man wearing the over-coat asked looking down at her. It was a simple thing to do when you first met someone new, however he seemed to have missed it. Wait what was my name? he pondered still looking down at her. No matter how hard he thought about it, no legit name came up. Simple titles like "The Mistress" kept coming to mind, but no real name. "I can't call myself the Mistress, its not a fitting title."

PMAIM
^
Lucyfer
 Posted: Dec 1 2014, 08:12 PM

Awards:

His reaction to the gum suggested it was a new substance. ‘Who hasn’t eaten gum?’ Ava kept the curiosity to herself as she took the package back and returned it to her messenger bag, letting him adjust to the idea of gum without her eyes on him.

She gave a nod as she closed the gum back up into the bag about his assertion that regeneration was becoming new. “In a sense,” she echoed agreement.

“I’m Ava Cornell,” she introduced, “What’s—” but it seemed he was having trouble with that himself. She did her utmost to suppress the smile that wanted to come at the mention of ‘Mistress’ and how it wasn’t fitting, “If that’s what you want to call yourself, I’ll go with it,” she noted. She offered her hand to shake, “So, your name? Or title, if you prefer?” Since it seemed that was what he was looking for. Why he’d want to hide his name, she didn’t know. ‘Criminal.’ Yes, that would be her luck, wouldn’t it?
PMWebsite
^
The Insurgency
 Posted: Dec 1 2014, 08:41 PM

Awards:

"Ava Cornell? " He repeated making sure he spoke it correctly. What an different name to him, almost foreign to someone like him, what he really was. "What a name, I can honestly say I haven't heard of one like that before. For me, you can call me..." He paused not sure what to tell her. The Mistress wouldn't fit, maybe the Master? He shook his head. "What do I look like? What name would you put on this face?" He lowered himself to match her height.

He looked her straight in the face, mostly at her eyes. Pretty, but simple at the same time. He wondered what color his own eyes were looking at hers. His face was older, a lot older then hers anyone could tell by a quick glance at the two. At a closer examination of the man's face, one could make out a small scar that laid under his left eye. His nose was a bit big too, but fit well with the rest of his face. His eyes were a dark brown, almost a similar dark to his hair.

"Well, who do you see?" He moved his face a bit closer to hers. The gum already changing the scent of his breath. He kept chewing even though the two faces were only inches apart.
PMAIM
^
Lucyfer
 Posted: Dec 1 2014, 08:57 PM

Awards:

Cornell seemed common to Ava. She imagined he must be a foreigner for it to be uncommon to him. Perhaps Ava was the one he found odd?

No, what was actually odd was that he didn’t know his name. ‘Amnesia?’ It seemed possible. He hadn’t known the word regeneration and it seemed important to him. Now he didn’t know his name. Mistress had been a discarded option. Ava lowered her hand and moved it behind her back. She bit the inside of her cheek and examined the face that was now quite close, continuing to chew the gum.

At least cinnamon smelled good. His eyes were dark, but far from empty. He was scarred, and she wondered if there were other scars on him that might tell a story of violence. It was easier to tell how much older he was than her, and she got the sense he was much older than he appeared. Still, handsome for his age. She canted her head as he seemed to want to rush. “You know, I’ve never named a person before,” it was a peculiar situation. “Harold?” Was the first suggestion, but then she shook her head, took a step back, at last finding the closeness too much to bear right the. “No, not quite. Maybe Domitian? Your nose seems Roman-esque.” Domitian had been an emperor of Rome, the second name to come to mind.

"Are you all right?" She asked, concerned, "Or should I help you find a doctor?"
PMWebsite
^
The Insurgency
 Posted: Dec 1 2014, 10:21 PM

Awards:

Doctor that was the word. The word to fix his mind, in a matter of speaking. Just hearing that word, "Doctor" uttered out loud was the catalyst. It sprung a series of memories to play out in his head. His eyes grew blank as his mind grew deep in thought.

The Doctor, his friend, his fellow survivor, his rival. As far as his memory could go back, the Doctor was always there, of course he didn't always call himself "The Doctor" that came later in their lives. From their childhood studying at the academy, to being tutored by Borusa, he never did well during his time at the Academy. However something from his time there at the academy would move on with him, the drums. I learned how to play them there without knowing the awful pain they would bring later on. He remembered the first time the Doctor really became his rival, when the small group of time lords along the master went to over throw Lord President. The Doctor and He left Gallifrey the same day. The Doctor stole the machine as he went about it a bit more simply.

Though changing faces many times, it was the name "Harold" that was more recent in his head. The Spikey hair Doctor was around when he was "Harold" The drums were back though, the nightmare was alive again. Again the Doctor was able to best him during that time together. Though bested by the Doctor twice as his time as "Harold" he was given the chance to attack Rassilon after his "Master Race" failed. After that things went blurry again, as they always seemed to go. Next came Missy, and the Grey Doctor.

" No Harold, not him anymore."
PMAIM
^
Lucyfer
 Posted: Dec 1 2014, 10:33 PM

Awards:

Ava must have said something either very right, or very wrong, and she wasn’t sure which as the light behind the man’s eyes seemed to dim. Human instinct told her to run, then and there, and not look back. She couldn’t describe it in any other way, for there was no rationale for the thought of running. ‘To get help?’

For him, or for her?

However, Ava remained, a mask to hide her nerves and the patience she’d grown accustomed to while waiting for news on roles allowing her to look unphased by her companion’s mental departure. If she needed to, she wouldn’t run. She’d just call for a doctor. She wasn’t certain if this was normal for amnesiacs, but she hadn’t had to help one before, either. Never considered what she’d do.

Finally, he spoke. The relief was evident on her features, and she smiled, “All right. Not Harold.” She had dismissed that name anyway. ‘I wasn’t wrong.’ He said anymore. She felt a bit of pride in knowing he had gone by it once, though it did add a tally to the possibility he was a criminal. 'Or witness protection.'

He said nothing to the other names, nor to the idea of seeing a doctor. “Then, who are you now?” Just in case Domitian was completely inacceptable, because he’d figured out who he was.
PMWebsite
^
The Insurgency
 Posted: Dec 1 2014, 11:01 PM

Awards:

He stood there, looking at her. Domitian wasn't that bad sounding he thought. He smirked for the first time looking at her. The Doctor always had someone with him, whether it was he grand daughter to Clara he was traveling with company. It had been a long while since he had personally had someone to call a "friend".

"I like that one. It can stay. Domitian" He stated looking at her, backing away. "If it was obvious, I am new here. Do you mind showing me around? I can show you something in return." He offered the woman. The Doctor preferred, it seemed, to travel with women it was time for Domitian to do the same. "Have you ever wondered what was out side earth? What other beings lived out there?" Domitian looked towards the sky as he spoke. How would the Doctor go about roping in a Companion? He always seemed to have the trick down.
PMAIM
^
Lucyfer
 Posted: Dec 1 2014, 11:15 PM

Awards:

The man’s mind was working in a different way now, his disposition changed entirely with the one smirk. He claimed he was new there, but he no longer looked it. She lifted one shoulder in a shrug. “Yes, I can show you around a bit. We’re swinging by the café first, though.” She needed the chai now. With a motion, she suggested he follow her. She would then walk on ahead towards that destination.

‘You do not. Have. Time.’

Certainly in showing the man around she could still swing by the library, put in a request with the librarian, and come back the next day to pick up the books that had been found on the stacks. That would probably be more efficient, anyway.

“Who doesn’t dream of what's beyond Earth?” Ava did wonder if there was anyone who didn’t let their mind wonder to far off impossibilities. In light of recent events here, who could deny the thought? Dalek invasion, the Christmas star—it was a shame Saxon had been unable to truly introduce Earth to peaceful aliens. “But, I’m no astronaut.” So she left it to dreams and the news.

The café was in sight, so she asked, “What sort of places do you want to know the location of here? I can give you a grand tour, but I’m sure you’d appreciate knowing where the important things are.” And that varied by person.
PMWebsite
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
Shadowplay Roleplay Gateway Fragile Things

skin created by they-go of RCR, CAUTION, they go and wombat designs