barbermonger: a one on one roleplay search forum

WELCOME TO BARBERMONGER
WHAT IS BARBERMONGER?

BARBERMONGER is a site designed to help roleplayers find other roleplayers, specifically one-on-one roleplayers, as opposed to larger roleplay games. Functioning like a pinboard, BARBERMONGER allows users to create advertisements, bump advertisements, and respond to other advertisements, without requiring them to register an account. However, registering an account will allow you to edit your posts, find your own topics, and use the private messaging system.

HELPFUL LINKS:

BARBERMONGER RULES
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
TODAY'S ACTIVE TOPICS
MEMBERS
SEARCH WITH JCINK
SEARCH WITH GOOGLE

Add Reply
New Poll

Tell me about your characters !
alyeska
 Posted: Dec 26 2014, 02:20 PM

trash prince
Group: Members

Awards:

And I don't just mean the first one; there's already a forum for that. I mean all of them !

I wanna know about your favorite character. I want to know why they're your favorite !

Tell me about your least favorite, and why.

Tell me about the one you've had the longest who you still can't bring yourself to get rid of or kill off. (and the ones you've killed off but just keep coming back for some reason or another.)

Tell me about the character who's story breaks your heart.

Which one has the greatest tragedy, which has the greatest strengths ?

Which ones do you pair off together ? Any ?

Which one has your favorite story ?

Which ones have their own universes ? Which ones are mere footnotes ?

Which one is the most similar to you ? Was it on purpose ? Which one is most dissimilar ?

Are any based on people you know ? Other characters ?

(You don't have to actually answer these ones.) There are seriously so many more questions I could ask but really I want you guys to gush over your babies ! As much as I love world building and fantasy-verses, my favorite part of this will always be characters- their creation, their story, their intricacies and quirks.
Eventually I might try putting up a character development board but for now I just wanna know about them.

--------------------
user posted image user posted image
PMEmail
^
novemberist
 Posted: Dec 28 2014, 03:51 AM

Awards:
N/A

maybe if this was like half a dozen small threads instead of one big old... yeah. because, whew.
PMEmail
^
XANDER
 Posted: Dec 28 2014, 10:57 AM

tiefling bard
Group: Admin

Awards:

yeah i would be writing a novel to answer ALL of those so to start off i will PICK TWO

Tell me about the one you've had the longest who you still can't bring yourself to get rid of or kill off. (and the ones you've killed off but just keep coming back for some reason or another.)

if by 'killed off' you mean LITERALLY killed off, i.e. they die in their story, i have killed off very few of my characters over the years! however, if you mean that i stopped actively roleplaying them, there are a lot of those. i think my oldest character is the one i've mentioned in my 'first character' thread, who now could only operate as a complete troll character, due to my embarrassing self-awareness. jenna, i intended you to be so smart and daring. whoops!

Which ones have their own universes?

so i have a long running ww2 thread here! that has been going for a few years now, but it's actually an Alternate Universe for the original incarnations of the two characters, reese and léandre. originally, they were a pirate captain and a pirate doctor, respectively. about six years back, i proposed Alternate Universes to abbey, who told me i was a moron and laughed at me. here are a few of the AUs we currently have, though this is not exhaustive because some of them are embarrassing:
  • pirates - 1800s
  • suburbia - 1950s
  • noir - 1940s
  • vodou - 1990s
  • circus - 1910s
  • world war ii - 1940s
  • white picket fence - 1950s
  • biomancer + incubus - covert magic
  • demon king - low magic
  • little red riding hood
  • drakengard
  • space - miramiaow + favincerag
    • alternate - clones
  • space - star trek
  • paranormal activity
  • vampires
  • worst universe
  • hunter + werewolf
  • gotham
    • arc 1 - triumph over evil
    • arc 2 - if you love it let it go
    • arc 3 - deranged immortality
  • bel-air
  • strippers
    • arc 1 - overdose / abandonment
    • arc 2 - kidnapping / revelation
    • arc 3 - revelation / rehab
  • murderers
  • divorcees
  • gardening
the only universe that is technically 'complete' is pirates 1800s, as that has been written out in full long-form. everything else is line-by-line notes, and qualifies for a full write-up.

so basically! reese is one half of the OTP; in his original universe, he is a regular pirate who becomes a pirate captain after some upsetting life events, and he blossoms into the charismatic, philandering control freak he was always meant to be! he is generally characterized by being gregarious, intelligent, determined, somewhat self-centered, flirtatious, and greedy to a fault. depending on his profession and rewritten history in a universe (eg he is an outerspace alien or serial killer), some of those traits are flexible, but the characterization is pretty standard throughout!

i am able to write all these universes because i never get tired of writing with abbey, hurr dee durr. :B

--------------------
user posted image

PMWebsiteAIMYIMMSN
^
alyeska
 Posted: Dec 28 2014, 07:33 PM

trash prince

Awards:

Aww Xander thanks for being a good sport <3

And guys I did say you don't have to answer mine if you don't want to. ^.^ I wasnt gonna spam the forums with a bunch of threads asking questions. If I do that I'll make it one character development one. This is more... talk about your characters ? Idk ? I should probably have said any instead of all.
/shrug
I put a bunch of questions up as more of an idea to get anyone to talk about any of their characters. Think of them like loose prompts ? Or just do what Xander did and if you find questions you like or ones that are easy, answer those.
PMEmail
^
alyeska
 Posted: Dec 29 2014, 01:41 AM

trash prince

Awards:

if by 'killed off' you mean LITERALLY killed off, i.e. they die in their story, i have killed off very few of my characters over the years! however, if you mean that i stopped actively roleplaying them, there are a lot of those. i think my oldest character is the one i've mentioned in my 'first character' thread, who now could only operate as a complete troll character, due to my embarrassing self-awareness. jenna, i intended you to be so smart and daring. whoops!

I meant it however you wanted to take it ^.^
I'll have to go re-stalk that thread now. But good on you for not killing your characters ! I would like to say I kill a lot of mine in the literal sense but then, I always end up bringing them back to life.
The one who I'll talk about later, George, I actually wrote his death scene out and I cried over it.

Here's a moment of silence to all of the characters who just quietly fade away into the background; never getting a proper death scene, never getting a fair send off… just… biding their time, watching us move on with other, newer characters~

user posted image
  i'm so sorry son fandom

so i have a long running ww2 thread here! that has been going for a few years now, but it's actually an Alternate Universe for the original incarnations of the two characters, reese and léandre. originally, they were a pirate captain and a pirate doctor, respectively. about six years back, i proposed Alternate Universes to abbey, who told me i was a moron and laughed at me.

i enjoy your ww2 thread >.>
& holy moly ! SIX years ? that's a long time.

would you mind me asking how long you two have known each other/been roleplaying together for ?

and I like that you included that abbey laughed at you even though you've now been doing AUs for 6 years hehe.
personally I'm a huge fan of AUs (so much so my genre list on my website isn't actually a "genre list" as much as it is a list of universes that I would like to put original characters into alternate versions of.) (it's a mess)

so basically! reese is one half of the OTP; in his original universe, he is a regular pirate who becomes a pirate captain after some upsetting life events, and he blossoms into the charismatic, philandering control freak he was always meant to be! he is generally characterized by being gregarious, intelligent, determined, somewhat self-centered, flirtatious, and greedy to a fault. depending on his profession and rewritten history in a universe (eg he is an outerspace alien or serial killer), some of those traits are flexible, but the characterization is pretty standard throughout!

i am able to write all these universes because i never get tired of writing with abbey, hurr dee durr. :B

wow that's a lot omgosh. seriously props to you both because I don't think a whole lot of people could do that. (or maybe I just don't give people a whole lot of credit ? ;p)
but still, it's really impressive. you guys are both magnificent writers though, so it's not surprising.

you use Reese in a lot of things then, huh ?
---that is another interesting point. how there are some characters you can keep handy while only rewriting a few background notes or specific traits to fit into a certain universe.
do you have other characters you do that with, or just Reese ?
(i'm a nosey butt sorry)
~

okay so thanks to Xander, here's another/more question(s) to the general audience;

Do you ever pair up your own characters with each other ?

&

Do you have "set" characters that are flexible in the sense you use them in multiple universes ? (If so, do you change a lot about them ? Does it depend on the universe ?) Or do you create different/new characters for each new universe/roleplay/scenario ?
PMEmail
^
Bleedpretty
 Posted: Aug 3 2015, 12:00 AM

animal impulses

Awards:

I'm going to shamelessly use this thread as an opportunity to ramble about a few of my favorite characters.

So far one of my all time favorites has to be my witch, Collin. -edited out because he and the story line have been COMPLETELY re-hauled-

My next favorite is Avery. He's probably the polar opposite of Collin. He's a self absorbed, gossiping, little trouble maker and he's terribly fun. My favorite is when he doesn't get his way and he throws a full on tantrum.

He looks nice but it's a lie.user posted image

Avery is a prince but he's not in line for the throne, he's the youngest of his siblings and largely ignored. However, this is fine with him for the most part, it means he can move about unnoticed. Usually. He likes to stir up trouble and pit people against one another. He's currently entirely consumed with a French Marquis and they've had nothing but misunderstandings from the start. A very dramatic and twisting lead up which resulted in a full on prince hissy fit. Avery is not a good person, he's selfish, arrogant, conceited, and spoiled. All of which makes him terribly fun to play.

Last but not least, I'm helplessly obsessed with my Zero. (total credit to Voodoo for the lovely image)

He's the creeper on the left. My glove wearing, suit donning, gun for hire killer. He's got an unhealthy infatuation with death and has some serious control issues. He's really just a glorified serial killer, though he doesn't have it as together as it seems. Zero has some serious health problems that have yet to be seen in his rp, though he hides it well he's incredibly reliant on his medication. He's a newer character but I can just tell that he's going to be special. (one of those)
I would say more about him but I worry Voodoo will read over this and spoiler it for herself so I'll keep it vague.
Originally from Russia, he had to make a quick getaway after pissing off the wrong sorts, the sorts that even a murderer fears. He has a good gig in the states now, mostly working for various mafias as a freelancer. His trophies come in the form of tattoos, which cover the neck down. Thus the full suit.
A violin playing, classical music loving, book reading sort of guy, he is another one of mine that keeps to his own. Unfortunately he's been sucked into an unconventional job of sorts and now is playing babysitter to the suicidal druggie brother of a mob boss. The very same brother he was hired to kill not long before accepting this job. Also, this brother is something of a prodigal hacker and now has information on Zero. So far my killer is still living in ignorance, but that won't last long.

I'll answer a few of the questions--

I do sometimes. Not always though. Side characters will sometimes have their own relationships going on, it just depends on their role in the story and what it adds/subtracts to it.

Do you have "set" characters that are flexible in the sense you use them in multiple universes ? (If so, do you change a lot about them ? Does it depend on the universe ?) Or do you create different/new characters for each new universe/roleplay/scenario ?

I don't have many yet, but there has been talk of a freakshow/circus in a late 1800s-early 1900s setting with all of the characters that Voodoo and I play together. It's just a fun thing to muse over, I'm not sure that anything will come of it, but it's really fun to discuss who would be what and how they would interact. Late night musings!
Usually I create new characters per roleplay, however I have a lot of “borrowed” characters. I take personalities and traits from old/abandoned characters and roleplays and repurpose them. Zero, for example, is one that borrowed from a lot of older characters but has taken on his own personality.

Tell me about your least favorite, and why.

This is tricky for me, I love all of my babies but some are just... terrible creatures. My demon character Vasili sort of makes me feel sick at times, he's just so awful, but I also love him? If I don't love a character I don't play them.

Which one is the most similar to you? Was it on purpose? Which one is most dissimilar?

Actually I don't think any of my characters are very similar to me? The only thing I have in common with any of them is when they have nightmares or sleeping problems. Otherwise I try to take on other personality traits. I've never been a fan of self insertion.

Okay I'll shut up...

--------------------
And I watered it in fears,
Night and morning with my tears;
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.
PMEmail
^
bird
 Posted: Aug 3 2015, 09:55 AM

number one dad

Awards:

man to be honest, these days? i usually just create characters to fit the thread and then work from there -- half the fun for me is being like WHO ARE YOU AND WHY ARE YOU HERE, PERSON I AM WRITING?? i love coming up with new characters and new people so it's rare for me to stick on one for too long now unless i'm writing them with someone else or they're in some long-form piece i'm working on. sometimes they sort of float back into other roleplays or whatever, or elements of them do. but i prefer to start from scratch.

that said some random characters that come to mind from recent or not recent stuff i've written:
  • jordana seek, engineer, jack-of-all-trades. cheerful, outspoken, talented and very particular about being seen and respected for being talented. definitely a little selfish and values self-preservation pretty highly, but usually ends up doing the Right Thing at the end of the day. her backstory involves a firefly-like universe and a lot of time working on harvesters or various worker's collectives. pays her union dues and is probably my most politically outspoken character and possibly one of my longest lived, in some incarnation!

initially she showed up as a freighter/glorified postal service captain on colonial mars, post a lengthy, drawn out civil war that mars had lost. then, you know, firefly happened. and also fucking red faction (a video game about a revolution on mars. oops.), so that had to change. buuuuut back-story wise she was alternately a pilot or an engineer or some kind of medic, but generally always settled around being an engineer on tiny junky ships. she was the space equivalent of a hitch-hiking Odd Jobs person and maybe a little lonelier than she wanted to admit. i liked writing her, even though i don't really have anything to do with her now. but whenever i get my yearly itch to write a space western, there's always a chance she'll show up in a bar stool somewhere and start chatting up a space alien.

• max who i have been writing with xander for like five years in a thread here. so originally i was like: okay i should probably write someone who could PLAUSIBLY SURVIVE an apocalypse?? so probably ex-military. probably a bodyguard. let's make him russian so that i don't have to research american army slang and rank and structure. and i speak russian! so this will be easy!

oh my god i was so wrong

between 2010 and now, current events topics in russian news!
    - brutal hazing of conscripted recruits leading to some reform of the military
    - unemployment, wide spread alcoholism, etc etc
    - the russian army's hilariously bad way of addressing mental health issues and ptsd
    - that whole gay rights thing

i mean i figured his backstory was Bad but i did not figure it would be that bad so thank you, real life. thank you for that. compound it with the (very important) fact that i didn't know how to write people or trauma at the time and, well. whoops.

that said, it's fun to write a guy who is absurdly competent at surviving shit -- although becoming that guy has absolutely ruined him as a person and objectively he is pretty much insane. it would be nice if he'd retire, see a counselor, and get a cat one day. but i'm writing him so that probably won't happen.

• jacob grady -- written back between, oh, idk. 2002-2005. one of my earlier roleplay characters i can remember, a twitchy junkie of a hitman in a dystopian grimdark future. this was before i understood anything about, you know, the reality of any of those things. and also before i got really bored with grimdark as a genre! anyway i roleplayed him a lot and then he found his way into a sprawling nanowrimo novel along with his boss, medea norris, your standard issue stone-cold femme fatale. he was kind of painfully stupid and had no impulse control whatsoever but always ended up somehow muddling his way out. i never killed him off but i did get really bored of him, although he came back for an encore in a roleplay c. 2009 or so.
honorable mentions:
  • gabriel kohn, c. 2003?: pirate captain or also a space-ship captain. drinks too much. prone to philandering and philosophizing. possibly hung out with jo (or whatever her name was at that time) at some point. she hated him.
  • marcus lee: french-canadian cat burglar on the run. currently writing him now. likes parties, fun, and taking care of other people. really likes breaking into stuff. except shit has now gotten real and he misses people way too much for his own good. smart but maybe not as smart as he thinks he is.
  • dean curtis: james bond wanna-be and genuinely Nice Person. too bad for him!
  • a female privateer captain i wrote when i was like, 9 or 10, who had a lot of different first names but generally some variant of ____ swift: competent and a little icy. fish out of water and seven of nine on a sailboat, i guess. her crew mutinied a lot on her, iirc, and she ended up in a lot of weird scrapes. i have no idea what her backstory was because she was basically just blatant wish fulfillment
  • cassie: bookish programmer who talks to (and successfully manipulates) machines. sympathetic supervillain in the making.
  • lee sorenson: shamelessly made after watching too much generation kill. lawful neutral, i guess? cop tasked with hunting vampires. kind of a Team Dad. ends up doing horrible things without actually realizing it just by following orders. i'm not crazy about writing cops so i don't think he'll be back, but he was fun.
  • eleni: member of a secret explorer's guild and indiana jones like character; briefly roleplayed in the nightmare switch here and also turned up a few times in tabletop RPGs i've done. knows how to do a lot of kinky things with rope. will paint dicks on your face in camp while you're sleeping.
PMAIM
^
XANDER
 Posted: Aug 9 2015, 08:55 PM

tiefling bard
Group: Admin

Awards:

EXTREMELY BELATED ANSWERS, MY APOLOGIES

would you mind me asking how long you two have known each other/been roleplaying together for ?

8 years this july.

yes, but it's a terrible idea unless you want to write alone

i would say with almost all of my fully-fledged characters, i can take them out of one universe and twist them up into another, as long as i know enough about them. reese's shtick is usually something like, 'bad background, good-looking, comes up on his wits and his charm, sucks at commitment', so things like career/time period/plot can be tinkered with.

here's some other characters, since everyone is sharing

• ingrid alvez, reese's young, single, alcoholic mother who has a penchant for story-telling and conveying to her son that romance is the worst and love will tear you apart. is either dead or beating up her baby daddy, william.

• louis roche, butterfly boy, young and rich and abused and convinced he is the rightful center of the universe. highly energetic attention-seeker, generally accompanied by edmund, his stalker/abuser since childhood. occasional love interest of reese. rival or friend of leandre (abbey's character) whom he assaults with his optimism and excitement.

• edmund wyght, politician, businessman, old money socialite. meets the roche family while louis is young, becomes obsessed, makes himself a permanent fixture while generally appearing very aloof and classy. willing to do whatever is necessary to keep louis in his orbit. in some universes he meets leandre instead of louis, and it's leandre he follows around instead.

• jenna, sorceress, dumb brunette, bull in china shop. jenna was, in some ways, the pre-reese - comes from poverty, has extraordinary talents, want to make her way in the world - but jenna was not very smart, because i wrote her when i was like, 11-12, and i was not very smart. she ultimately turned out to be a sort of alcoholic gold-digger that married into royalty and went crazy with immortality, bless her.

• richard milewn, serial killer, doctor/surgeon, sadist, nymphomaniac, psychopath. is a horrible person to people in his power, eg patients and employees. generally becomes so terrible that someone catches wise to his game, and he flees the state/country/space to find a new place to murder and pillage. like edmund, comes from an upperclass background, but lacks any empathy for his victims.

• lucifer, antichrist and/or morningstar. the worst daddy issues of the universe. feels that destroying the earth and all living creatures is his destiny. wants to corrupt everything good in the world. will try to fuck you.

Which one is the most similar to you?

it has changed over time! at different points, i have been the most similar to each of these characters: not in the literal sense (i am neither the devil nor a sorceress), but in the sense that i have identified with the core feeling they are built around (whimsy, cruelty, [self-]destruction, vanity, obsession, bitterness.)

Tell me about the character whose story breaks your heart.

i think louis's story is generally the saddest, because most of the time, there is no good ending for him: he feels like he can never tell anyone what's happened to him (family shame, disdain of society, not being believed), he feels like he can never get away from edmund (more in the 'i will track you down' sense than the 'economically unable' sense), and he's seriously fucked up by the narrative that no one will ever love him as much. to some sense, his fear is true, as edmund has an unhealthy willingness to cave in his entire life to what louis wants (besides leaving him) and because edmund does not require him to be his own independent person who accepts consequences for his choices. even if louis gets away geographically, the damage is so deep and he is so emotionally immature that there's no real 'getting away'. and that, my friends, is sad.
PMWebsiteAIMYIMMSN
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
Shadowplay Roleplay Gateway

skin created by they-go of RCR, CAUTION, they go and wombat designs