barbermonger: a one on one roleplay search forum

WELCOME TO BARBERMONGER
WHAT IS BARBERMONGER?

BARBERMONGER is a site designed to help roleplayers find other roleplayers, specifically one-on-one roleplayers, as opposed to larger roleplay games. Functioning like a pinboard, BARBERMONGER allows users to create advertisements, bump advertisements, and respond to other advertisements, without requiring them to register an account. However, registering an account will allow you to edit your posts, find your own topics, and use the private messaging system.

HELPFUL LINKS:

BARBERMONGER RULES
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
TODAY'S ACTIVE TOPICS
MEMBERS
SEARCH WITH JCINK
SEARCH WITH GOOGLE

Add Reply
New Poll

Hard to fill cravings?
karmacrushh
 Posted: Dec 2 2015, 10:40 PM

Group: Members

Awards:
N/A

Hey everyone!

I guess this is my first social post haha. But I was wondering a few things, since this is a rut that I am currently finding myself in. I'm pretty sure that we all have our cravings that no one seems interested in, or for whatever reason they go unfulfilled. So I have some questions:

What are your cravings that just will not be filled for whatever reason?
And what have you done in the past that gets those cravings filled? Besides just being patient.

I'm asking more because I have a couple very specific cravings that I've seen people post about in the past, but for some reason I just cannot find anyone currently active that will fill them (specifically Watchmen and Kingsman: The Secret Service). A ton of my friends have seen and loved both films, and I've even seen ads in the past for them! But for whatever reason, I can't get a bite :/ It's kinda frustrating now haha.
PMEmail
^
Poette
 Posted: Dec 3 2015, 10:07 AM

Awards:

I will answer in reverse order of the questions.

And what have you done in the past that gets those cravings filled? Besides just being patient.

And besides the luck of timing? Write a very appealing, detailed and enthusiastic ad. Throw around some plot ideas or character pairings. Offer up the idea that if someone is interested, you can send over an intro (to try and entice them), or vice versa let them send you an intro if they have one.

In the case of being fandom-related but you can’t get the fandom, try substituting the world (or scrape the universe) and work on a similar plot (if plot and universe can be separate entities). See where you can compromise to satisfy your craving if it is too niche to be more readily accepted by a larger group of people.

I think something else to note is not to forget the people you are currently writing with. They might be interested in the idea if you can sell it. Also, recognize that one role play can be a gateway to many others. From my experience, you’ll find that different partners have a type/style of writing they seem to gravitate towards, so usually you can guess how someone will react to an idea but it never hurts to throw out that you’re open to expanding your writing with them because they might have an idea that really appeals to you that you never thought about before. Or they might love your idea (big surprise, they already love writing one story with you; who thought they would like to write a different one with you as well?).

Soft sell or hard sell—you need to convince people that this is their ultimate craving too. Usually by displaying your passion for the topic in some way (and how they clearly have a void in their life by needing this rp topic, too) you can win them over.

But in the case of fandoms especially, sometimes it is a matter of timing. For some reason you can go months without a bite, but man, when the right someone does contact you—it will be worth it.

As a side note, the fandom talk is purely theoretical and not experiential in my case. I tend to stray away from fandoms, but if I do like elements of a fandom, I find ways to incorporate them into a story.

What are your cravings that just will not be filled for whatever reason?

I’d love to write an ultra romantic story with a poetic writing style. Heavily detailed, hyper-sensual, but above all poetic. The sort of writing that flows perfectly and gets you excited to read more because the style is absolutely beautiful. It is sort of an always craving, but currently I haven’t specifically tried to market this as what I want because …well, a lot of reasons.

While do I crave specific genres, I find that without the ‘right partner’ your craving won’t be satisfied. A disappointing (or otherwise incompatible for whatever reason) partner fails to satiate a craving.

And so ultimately what I search for is something less concrete than a specific genre—I search for a writing style to fall in love with. And with that, a writing partner who inspires me. That is much harder to find for a whole other set of reasons.

Though as a rule of thumb, if someone is enthusiastic to contact me from the get-go, it shows they are more invested in the process and usually (but not always) that leads to better outcomes when actually writing. However, it does not mean that when someone does not make a huge effort to plan/discuss that they will not be a fantastic writer. In which case, the lack of planning and knowing the situation can be equally as tempting and creative to work with. It’s all a matter of figuring out the natural pacing between partners. Conversely, people who make a huge effort to discuss and plot can be really ‘stick to the line’ writers who thrive off complete and total order. And what you discuss is what they give. It’s all what you’re looking for in that case.

There’s no catchall ‘here’s how to ensnare the best partner for you’ guide. I’m sure each person has a different story to negate the tales of another.

Anyways, best of luck as always!
PM
^
karmacrushh
 Posted: Dec 3 2015, 08:27 PM

Awards:
N/A

I appreciate your help, but I'm not having an issue with convincing people, merely finding people with the same interests at the same time. Not a matter of selling or convincing, just getting the timing right and finding like minds.
PMEmail
^
Poette
 Posted: Dec 4 2015, 12:46 AM

Awards:

I would suggest being more active in searching other websites to find a like minded individual. Peruse the affiliate sites at the bottom of BarberMonger, perhaps? I don't know whether you've advertised on a lot of websites or searched elsewhere but that might help?

Or if all else fails and you don't mind reading to supplement your craving, find a good story or fan fiction to suit your interests while you wait.

Other than that, patience is always a virtue.
PM
^
Xyshurondor
 Posted: Dec 7 2015, 06:18 PM

Awards:
N/A

I've had good results from posting on r/roleplay when the post was very specific about what I was looking for (this genre, this medium, this type of setting). Writing a longer post with good grammar and diction also gets you a lot of responses, because over the length of a bigger post it's harder to conceal a lack of writing skills. I've also found a couple of people here on Barbermonger, but in those cases I replied to their ads; I haven't posted mine yet (still finalizing the pdf for the setting).

The internet is vast. Whatever you're into, there's surely someone out there who is also into it.
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
Shadowplay Roleplay Gateway

skin created by they-go of RCR, CAUTION, they go and wombat designs