barbermonger: a one on one roleplay search forum

WELCOME TO BARBERMONGER
WHAT IS BARBERMONGER?

BARBERMONGER is a site designed to help roleplayers find other roleplayers, specifically one-on-one roleplayers, as opposed to larger roleplay games. Functioning like a pinboard, BARBERMONGER allows users to create advertisements, bump advertisements, and respond to other advertisements, without requiring them to register an account. However, registering an account will allow you to edit your posts, find your own topics, and use the private messaging system.

HELPFUL LINKS:

BARBERMONGER RULES
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
TODAY'S ACTIVE TOPICS
MEMBERS
SEARCH WITH JCINK
SEARCH WITH GOOGLE

Add Reply
New Poll

plotting and characters, i'm curious!
Bleedpretty
 Posted: Jul 16 2016, 09:40 PM

animal impulses
Group: Members

Awards:

the differences between people's creative process for writing is very interesting to me! i would love to hear about how you all go about setting up a story line with your partner(s) and how your head babies come to life.

do you make a character and spin a story around said character? or a plot and then create a character to fill a specific role? or do you instead have a standing cast of sorts that you rotate through various stories?

more on plotting:

-do you plot loosely or do you like to plot extensively?
-how much do you communicate with your partner when plotting? (an offshoot of the previous question!)
-do you usually plot an ending? and if so, do you usually make it to the end?

more on characters:

-do you make a detailed character sheet before you even start? if so, do you tend to stick to these assigned attributes or are you flexible?
-would you or have you ever alter your character's personality to better fit your partner's? (aka- make them more or less agreeable)
-are you comfortable with sharing side characters? have you ever tried to share a main character?

i'm certain i have more questions but they will probably come to me when i'm trying to sleep.

--------------------
And I watered it in fears,
Night and morning with my tears;
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.
PMEmail
^
Bleedpretty
 Posted: Jul 16 2016, 10:05 PM

animal impulses

Awards:

to answer my own questions and (hopefully) get us started:

do you make a character and spin a story around said character? or a plot and then create a character to fill a specific role? or do you instead have a standing cast of sorts that you rotate through various stories?

my process for making characters and plots is sort of strange anymore. i used to go about it much differently, either via inspiration for a character or a story idea that i was intrigued by the concept of. i do a lot of tossing back and forth with my writing partner now, we get an idea for one thing or another and basically it snowballs from there- leading into potential personalities and story lines. i don't so much have a standing cast anymore, though i used to. my characters are usually created uniquely for each roleplay.

i used to plot VERY loosely. a general setting, general idea of the characters (maybe) and bam. go. now i have shifted over to plotting quite a bit. i used to think this would ruin the fun and the surprise, but i was wrong! now there's a general gist of what's going to happen with highlights plotted out but we stay flexible in case something surprises us and shifts! that's always a lot of fun. so extensive plotting, but not 100% commitment.

-how much do you communicate with your partner when plotting? (an offshoot of the previous question!)

a. lot.
again not something i used to do too much of, just a general idea. i now like to run all sorts of ideas past my partner, and if we think it won't work or maybe won't be as interesting, we go back to brainstorming. it's fun! sometimes we even branch off onto tangents and talk about crazy hypothetical situations that never happen.

i have never actually plotted an ending. i suppose i have come up with points where it all sorts of slows down and could be the end, but usually something else gets tagged on or interests are pulled from the story line entirely. i do a lot of cycling through plots with the same partner, new stories will come along and we start on those. eventually some of the others fall to the side and we return to them later or re-haul them entirely.

-do you make a detailed character sheet before you even start? if so, do you tend to stick to these assigned attributes or are you flexible?

i used to be one of those sorts who would fill out all sorts of information on a character sheet, but i found it to be too rigid for my tastes. sometimes personality doesn't start to really click or shine through for me until it's already in the works. so i suppose i would say that i'm flexible.

-would you or have you ever alter your character's personality to better fit your partner's? (aka- make them more or less agreeable)

it's not something i typically do. i suppose it depends. i won't 'force' a character to be a certain way because let's face it, that's no fun. i have shifted personalities before to make a character less agreeable and or likable in a passive aggressive sort of way. it's not nice, and i'm not proud, but it's true.

-are you comfortable with sharing side characters? have you ever tried to share a main character?

okay i'm really curious about this one for the rest of you.
i have shared some side characters, but it's something that i feel like you obviously have to be on the same page about. i've had people just take control of characters i brought in that were supposed to play more of a role than just a background character and it was a bit off putting. it's one thing if it's a total npc, another if it's a character you have a set personality and a purpose for. however! i have found that sharing side characters is almost essential at times. as i said, so long as it's discussed it's cool
which leads me to the second part- main characters! far more than just secondaries, but belong to neither you nor your partner exclusively. maybe i'm late to the game, but this is new territory for me! in a way it feels strange, but it's also awesome. Toby is our experiment! it's very different than anything i've done before which is always cool when writing.

please share your own answers! (it's a WOT but sate my curiosity~)
PMEmail
^
Mog
 Posted: Jul 17 2016, 06:56 PM

Awards:

Since writing with other people again, I kinda of have a small cast I could play around with to fit into some roleplays. If they don't fit, I don't mind creating a whole new character. I can recycle a bit too if needed. For me this and plotting/head cannon stuff are my favorite!

I like to have a general lay of the plot at least for the beginning parts. The setting, whats going on and most importantly: how is it going to keep our character’s interacting throughout the roleplay? After that things tend to work out themselves. Spontaneity is fun and I'm not sure how I'd feel about writing something with a extensively detailed plot. (IE knowing the endgame.) I'd I feel like we come to a lull, I'll toss out some ideas to keep the story going. No problem.

I like to communicate a lot. Lol It's nice to chat about the writing, characters, plot and such. Pictures/music/anything to set the mood of what we are writing is A-ok with me. Even ooc chat is welcome. It's not for everyone and I've written many great things with people who just want to write and not chat.

No and no. I'd be willing to try.

Some of my character's have sheets, (but they are outdated.) I may do one just to get a initial feel for the character, but lately I kind of don't. Lets skip the embarrassing time when you forget your characters eye color lol. I wing a lot of things. I try to stick to the foundation of the character as a whole.

Most of them aren't agreeable by nature, and I haven’t gotten to the point where I felt I had to compromise..too much of them for the others character. I enjoy the tension and the slow burn. Eventually I guess its necessary in order to keep the roleplay up?

I get very attached to the characters I create. It would depend on the person I share them with. I can only trust a handful with my brain babies. I've never shared a a character in a roleplay, I've 'borrowed' some when I'm in the mood to guilty pleasure write. (with the others permission of course) I'd be open to the idea.
PM
^
Bleedpretty
 Posted: Jul 18 2016, 07:14 PM

animal impulses

Awards:

you know, i haven't had a set cast in so, so long! it's cool to just have a few characters i think, get to know them really well. so are they completely flexible to the potential roleplay? do you ever have to change things to fit? (i mean, a cyborg might not fit so well into a western for example. though, now that i think about it that does sound really epic...)
i mean- i understand you could use a different character if they really didn't fit, but i'm curious to know if you make even minor changes.

spontaneity is great! i agree. i used to not plot very much much at all, but i've fallen into it slowly with obsessive discussions over the head babes. i like both ways.

I've 'borrowed' some when I'm in the mood to guilty pleasure write. (with the others permission of course) I'd be open to the idea.

how interesting! i've never done that before, do you just make your own side stories when you do that? is it usually after the rp has sort of died off or still active?
PMEmail
^
Mog
 Posted: Jul 19 2016, 11:30 AM

Awards:

QUOTE (Bleedpretty @ Jul 18 2016, 07:14 PM)
you know, i haven't had a set cast in so, so long! it's cool to just have a few characters i think, get to know them really well. so are they completely flexible to the potential roleplay? do you ever have to change things to fit? (i mean, a cyborg might not fit so well into a western for example. though, now that i think about it that does sound really epic...)
i mean- i understand you could use a different character if they really didn't fit, but i'm curious to know if you make even minor changes.

spontaneity is great! i agree. i used to not plot very much much at all, but i've fallen into it slowly with obsessive discussions over the head babes. i like both ways.

I didn’t have much of one, but since I had a lot of rp’s that started for a bit and tapered off, I have a small gaggle of ones I don’t have the heart to let go (I get attached..) And since the rp never lasted long, I don’t care as much if I alter them to fit where I shove them, so long as their base personality stays the same. Or I’ll pull them into a current roleplay as like a NPC (hah). Then again I adore a modern setting so I don’t have mermen that need legs or anyone I need to physically really change. I’ve just begun dipping into a little Urban Fantasy or Fantasy itself. (Ah yes, robos in the wild wild west, yes please.) A lot are underdeveloped blobs and they’ll probably stay that way.

The idea of ‘borrowing’ used to scare me to death tbh. I blame the rule ingrained in my little head in the neo days. It was like, don’t you dare use my character in any way, shape, or form. I have a fear of butchering other people’s babies (how dare I) and afraid that I might not be able to get their character right. Cue when my SO asks me to write for them and gives me the general idea of a chara. I CANT. They’re yours, I’ll ruin them.

QUOTE (Bleedpretty @ Jul 18 2016, 07:14 PM)
how interesting! i've never done that before, do you just make your own side stories when you do that? is it usually after the rp has sort of died off or still active?

Anyways, one pal of mine and I have a very long Epic Space Saga rp (still active). (They’re the universes’ WORST cargo haulers and are always fucking things up somehow.) They’re precious. </3 Sometimes you just wanna write a spin off adventure, a backstory short, or we’ve created a few AU’s to play around with (medieval fantasy, modern, my terribly written highschool AU.) Even now I make them read it to be sure I’m getting their character right and because I trust them not to be a dick about it, I don’t feel anxious when I send things over.

If the RP was inactive, it would have to depend on the relationship I had with the other person. If were still friends/cool, than fine. If we don’t speak, I’m not going to be borrowing your character.

How does it feel to SHARE a character? Are there challenges? Who controls when? How do you make it easy? I assume lots of talks OOC? It looks kind of fun. I can def see a nice flow in your experiment with Toby. :3
PM
^
Bleedpretty
 Posted: Jul 19 2016, 07:48 PM

animal impulses

Awards:

I didn’t have much of one, but since I had a lot of rp’s that started for a bit and tapered off, I have a small gaggle of ones I don’t have the heart to let go (I get attached..) And since the rp never lasted long, I don’t care as much if I alter them to fit where I shove them, so long as their base personality stays the same. Or I’ll pull them into a current roleplay as like a NPC (hah). Then again I adore a modern setting so I don’t have mermen that need legs or anyone I need to physically really change. I’ve just begun dipping into a little Urban Fantasy or Fantasy itself. (Ah yes, robos in the wild wild west, yes please.) A lot are underdeveloped blobs and they’ll probably stay that way.

The idea of ‘borrowing’ used to scare me to death tbh. I blame the rule ingrained in my little head in the neo days. It was like, don’t you dare use my character in any way, shape, or form. I have a fear of butchering other people’s babies (how dare I) and afraid that I might not be able to get their character right. Cue when my SO asks me to write for them and gives me the general idea of a chara. I CANT. They’re yours, I’ll ruin them.

i do that too! Voodoo and i have a whole world set up with New Arkham, we've played about 6 different plots in this city so we have cameos that show up all the time. sometimes the characters even mingle- like one character is a personal assistant to a drug lord who has decided to 'go clean' and is now some kind of socialite. as far as everyone knows. two separate ones but they tie in and it's so fun!

yes i get attached too and recycle! i get what you mean there.

i've had people ask to 'borrow' mine and that has never bothered me. especially if the rp is inactive. i feel like there's a certain level of trust there.

i have to be honest, your cargo haulers sound amazing! how long have you guys been at it? was that the first and the spin offs came from that story line then?

How does it feel to SHARE a character? Are there challenges? Who controls when? How do you make it easy? I assume lots of talks OOC? It looks kind of fun. I can def see a nice flow in your experiment with Toby. :3

hm! it's fun! it's not really very hard aside from the instinctual like... not wanting to godmode feeling. i think that's the only real challenge, i feel anyhow. we talk a lot about the sons! but really we just sort of decided on his personality and went with it. there's no designated who controls when or anything, we just do it as needed depending on the response. it'll probably become more separated later when there's more onexone time with Shin or Collin. i'm glad it seems to be flowing well because it's definitely new territory for us!
forgot to say- we DO send replies to one another to look over and approve before it's considered 'done'. that way we know we're on the same page all the time and everything is as it should be.
PMEmail
^
bird
 Posted: Jul 21 2016, 01:07 PM

number one dad

Awards:

in no particular order:
  • i pretty much always create a new character for a new roleplay. it's just more fun that way, and also since i like doing sci-fi/fantasy/whatever roleplays, i can actually make sure that the character is someone who fits into that world and fits into the plot, instead of trying to shoehorn a pre-existing round peg into a square hole. i usually start with a rough concept or archetype like "hardbitten detective" or "burned-out roboticist" or "sketchy security contractor" and roll from there. half the fun of roleplaying for me is the sense of discovery anyway - figuring out who these people i'm writing are, and how they relate to people around them, and what their weird tics and preferences are. like, i sit there and mull over stuff like "of course the serious military guy would know how to cook, because he'd have to" or "of course the roboticist has a dance competition award in their office" or "of course the space botanist isn't much of a talker" or... idk, whatever, dumb shit like that, and it's fun for me! basically, i value flexibility and being surprised over getting my characters absolutely perfect.

(sometimes i make very tiny cameos of past roleplay characters as NPCs in a thread, if, like, i'm starting a new thread with the same person. but just as a wacky easter egg/inside joke/dumb thing.)

sometimes i create character sheets much later, just for fun and to hash shit out as it comes to me, but usually my characters change and evolve in response to

• ... the characters they interact with! i used to not really change my characters to accommodate the plot or the other person's characters and i think that was a mistake and lead to dumb, stale stories. hear me out: i think some consistency is important, for the sake of like, plausibility of the narrative and all that shit. but in real life, people grow and change to make room for the people in their lives, and they work on their relationships, and they look at their past behaviour and go "huh, that's kinda fucked up". people who bicker constantly will eventually storm off and go their separate ways, or else they'll look at their behaviour, re-evaluate it, and slowly make inroads on changing it. probably if you want to tell a story with them you want to go with option b.

plus -- plus -- i used to write a lot of deeply antisocial characters, and that's just tedious to roleplay over time. i'm a loner and i suck at dialogue so i find it challenging to write gregarious characters but it does make for a more engaging roleplay if your character is a person who likes other people (otherwise, why are they staying together for so long???) so, over time, i think even my more lonely characters tend to become more gregarious, and i DO tend to change my characters to fit the plot and the narrative and the other roleplayer, because 1) roleplaying should be fun and 2) that's character growth, man

• plotting-wise -- i like a decent outline with character and plot beats already laid out, with room for flexibility as inspiration strikes. whenever people hand me carte blanche and say DO WHATEVER i get nothing done, and even if i do i find that 1) i have to do all the narrative heavy lifting or 2) we never get beyond, like, the 2 page intros and the meet-cute. i do like being surprised but like, not at the expense of getting somewhere.

• never shared a main character, pretty comfortable with sharing side characters! i'll be honest: i'm not very protective of my plot ideas or my characters. they're not my precious darling baby children, and if i'm roleplaying with you i probably already trust you to do something cool with them. i also talk a lot - maybe too much - ooc, so that's part of it. we've probably come up with the side characters together so they're as much yours as they are mine, and if there's any doubt about it we can always talk to each other about it.

that said, maybe sometimes it makes more NARRATIVE SENSE to like, keep side characters to one person's side of the story - say you're doing, idk, a police detective and her wily mob informant, right? it'll probably make more sense for the person playing the detective to write in a few random other cops for ~background flavour~ unless another cop features prominently in some way as a character in the criminal underworld. so, if someone else writes in the background flavour, there's no harm, but i make sure that ask first if i'm going to write a bit with a character in a more important role - like, 1) do you mind and 2) would this be cool? which ties into having at least a rough outline planned out - since having a plan, i find, makes it easy to cooperate with this stuff, instead of just going "this is the arc i have planned out for my character, and don't you dare derail it"

• like i said, i talk a fucking lot
this was a ramble, i hope it answered something
PMAIM
^
Bleedpretty
 Posted: Jul 21 2016, 08:10 PM

animal impulses

Awards:

BIRD YOU HAVE SOME GREAT POINTS this was delightful to read. i, for one, like rambles. they're fun and give me some insight.

hear me out: i think some consistency is important, for the sake of like, plausibility of the narrative and all that shit. but in real life, people grow and change to make room for the people in their lives, and they work on their relationships, and they look at their past behaviour and go "huh, that's kinda fucked up". people who bicker constantly will eventually storm off and go their separate ways, or else they'll look at their behaviour, re-evaluate it, and slowly make inroads on changing it. probably if you want to tell a story with them you want to go with option b.

yes! okay, i fully believe that there needs to be some flexibility with characters don't get me wrong. i used to do the very rigid character thing too, and it is incredibly tedious to write both for and with. i definitely think that character growth is important. without character growth what fun is any of this? the story invariably stagnates. i think that what really sucks, though, is writing with someone who doesn't give even a little in that way so it ends up that you either shift your character to adjust to them or you don't have much of a story! i like organic shifts, things that change over time and/or with circumstances.

plotting-wise -- i like a decent outline with character and plot beats already laid out, with room for flexibility as inspiration strikes. whenever people hand me carte blanche and say DO WHATEVER i get nothing done, and even if i do i find that 1) i have to do all the narrative heavy lifting or 2) we never get beyond, like, the 2 page intros and the meet-cute. i do like being surprised but like, not at the expense of getting somewhere.

you know, this really has changed a lot for me. i love plotting now. i like picking out the highlights and making a plot skeleton because even if we hit a lull of some sort, something maybe less action/drama/angst/whatever packed then i know it won't be for long because WINTER IS COMING. no but really. it's nice to look forward to the stuff coming up. it's also nice to be flexible with it! i like surprises, sometimes they just shift everything.

i'll be honest: i'm not very protective of my plot ideas or my characters. they're not my precious darling baby children, and if i'm roleplaying with you i probably already trust you to do something cool with them. i also talk a lot - maybe too much - ooc, so that's part of it.

i get this. i have only been upset when it was either gross godmoding without permission, or when the character was taken completely ooc. sometimes i have plans for my secondaries and unless we have discussed otherwise i feel strange when i get a post about them going off and doing things when i'd had intentions for them. HOWEVER, that happened a long time ago. years. now i like to talk a lot about what is going on and i think communication is really important. sometimes i think there are writers who are a little apprehensive or don't want to talk ooc, i feel like this can be a huge road block. i get it, i have some anxiety over these things, but not talking is kind of like setting the story up for failure. at least i think. maybe not always but... i've never really had it work out with a less than available partner. if i don't feel comfortable, i'm not going to be the best that i can be partner wise. i guess the best way to describe how i feel in those sort of writing situations is stiff.

i guess the take away message for this all is: communication!
PMEmail
^
Poette
 Posted: Dec 5 2016, 06:29 PM

Awards:

mostly: figure out plot/pairing -> make new character.

Sometimes I have a character in mind. I definitely have characters I wish I could use again (in rps that die very quickly), but in general when I start something with someone I create a new character.

ending? lol wut. they are never-ending.
I would not mind ending them when the time came, but it's rare that it gets to that point of perfect conclusion. The one time I offered a plot trajectory leading to an inevitable conclusion, my partner went 'oh no! i like writing this too much to end it!!' ... can't really argue with that, so we're trudging along on another trajectory.

most of the time, though, we just send catch-up emails, or 'here's where i foresee this scene going, we good?' there's a point to how far one should plot based on their pacing. if it's going to take you a year to get to that point, maybe don't swear yourself to that scene. your plot should be adaptable enough to deal with what happens in between.

if my partner wants a character sheet, or if we're working with a huge cast of characters, I find it helpful to draw up something to delineate features of each individual. it's not binding, though. more of a guideline.

I'm not a fan of changing a character too much to get along with another character (we shouldn't have to make huge adjustments?). like people, some characters grow together and some grow apart. if the chemistry isn't there, i find it's more worth it to start over rather than compromise your character. i mean in serious cases where things won't line up, where you don't see how to fix what is happening.

in cases where my partner doesn't want me to write something as explicitly -- like crude language or as detailed violence, I don't have qualms with that. it's reasonable to tone down something.

but a scene that has been building up to a climax? making a character who has every justification for acting a certain way but requiring them to act differently, to me, is harder to sell. if it is significant to their personality and your rp has been heading in this direction, it's not as minor to shift the overall tone. tone it down, yes.

i agree with communication being key. i've never shared a main character, and have done a minor amount of sharing with secondary characters. like stated earlier, you should be on the same page with a character that is shared territory 100%.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
Shadowplay Roleplay Gateway

skin created by they-go of RCR, CAUTION, they go and wombat designs