barbermonger: a one on one roleplay search forum

WELCOME TO BARBERMONGER
WHAT IS BARBERMONGER?

BARBERMONGER is a site designed to help roleplayers find other roleplayers, specifically one-on-one roleplayers, as opposed to larger roleplay games. Functioning like a pinboard, BARBERMONGER allows users to create advertisements, bump advertisements, and respond to other advertisements, without requiring them to register an account. However, registering an account will allow you to edit your posts, find your own topics, and use the private messaging system.

HELPFUL LINKS:

BARBERMONGER RULES
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
TODAY'S ACTIVE TOPICS
MEMBERS
SEARCH WITH JCINK
SEARCH WITH GOOGLE
DONATE TO BARBERMONGER

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

spooktoberfest, all horror all the time
abbey
 Posted: Sep 23 2015, 06:27 AM

Group: Members

Awards:

i've always loved horror. from the first time my little hands opened a stephen king book, to the terrifying stuff that passed for '90s children's entertainment, i couldn't get enough!

for me, spooktober starts in late september and lasts all through october. i want to watch a lot of new horror that i haven't seen and catalogue it. i'll try to showcase the best posters, not all of which are official -- i'm a big fan of illustration and pulp.

i'll also be reading horror anthologies!

user posted image = recommended.

feel free to chat or scream loudly in this thread. aaaaaaAAaaaAAAAAaa

BOOKS

The Tales of H.P. Lovecraft
  • user posted image The Colour Out of Space
  • The Call of Cthulhu
  • Witches' Hollow
  • The Dunwich Horror
  • The Thing on the Doorstep
Clive Barker's Books of Blood
  • user posted image Twilight at the Towers
  • user posted image How Spoilers Bleed
  • The Yattering and Jack
  • Jacqueline Ess: Her Will and Testament
  • Pig Blood Blues
  • Hell's Event
  • Scape Goats
  • New Murders In The Rue Morgue
TV
  • user posted image Penny Dreadful
  • user posted image Death Parade
  • Hemlock Grove
MOVIES
  • Poltergeist
  • Ravenous
  • Unfriended
  • Trick 'r Treat
  • The Conjuring
  • Goodnight Mommy
  • The Pyramid
  • In Their Skin
  • Last Shift
  • Clown
  • The Loved Ones
PMEmail
^
knox
 Posted: Sep 23 2015, 03:38 PM

basically a ghost

Awards:

brrAAaAaarrrrghGHg
user posted image

okay there's my two cents.

anyway, does anyone have any good horror manga to recommend and/or a good source for uzumaki scans?

also, abbey, let's share posters and recommendations? and like, screen-shots of best movie moments.

i am going to unofficially start my spooktober off with vhs viral. my official j-horror marathon will commence with tomie (1999) followed by exte: hair extensions (2007)

user posted image
PM
^
abbey
 Posted: Sep 24 2015, 05:27 AM

Awards:

j-horror is a great theme! i want to watch hausu. i've read tomie and loved it, and uzumaki is the greatest horror manga there is. no one can beat the master, junji ito, so read everything by him if you haven't. read cat diary!! anthologies are good too, e.g. fuan no tane.

horror manga recommendations

* added anthologies to the first post.

my recommendations for 2015 are it follows and the guest.

user posted image user posted image

stung looks goofy, but i love the poster.

user posted image

tonight i watched unfriended and it was magical.

user posted image
PMEmail
^
abbey
 Posted: Sep 27 2015, 08:09 AM

Awards:

user posted image

tonight xander and i watched goodnight mommy. while it's well-shot and pretty discomforting, there are a lot of holes in the storytelling that it just kind of shrugs at and never fills. i was left with the feeling that the story it didn't tell would've been more interesting than what it did.
PMEmail
^
Poette
 Posted: Sep 27 2015, 11:26 AM

Awards:

user posted image

Horror Manga Review:

Title: Doctor Du Ming
Genres: Drama, Horror, Mature, Psychological, Romance, Seinen, Tragedy
Synopsis: Du Ming, young anesthesiologist in a large Chinese hospital, is haunted by the memory of Zhang Qian: a young lady from his alma mater, who bewitched him with her sulfurous beauty and the peculiar aura she emits. After graduating, Du Ming stayed in touch with her, but a terrible piece of news arose: the young lady has committed suicide.

(Taken from Abbey's Horror Manga Link)

My opinions:

- Formulaic 'plot-twists' but enjoyable (as in, an easy read)
- Can be consumed in one evening in a couple of hours at your leisure
- Any confusion is mostly resolved by the end
- Pacing overall is okay, might be a tad slow in the beginning when setting up foundation
- WTF Moment(s)? : yes

Didn't love it or hate it but was looking for something to destress with and it fit the bill there. Mindless material is important to read from time to time.
Might read some others depending on how much time I get this month.

Rating: 5/10 (middle of the line)
Horror Scale: 6/10 (some scenes may be disturbing)

Since this is my first one, I'm hesitant to rate it without any others to compare it to, so that might change in the future. Also I'll try to avoid specific spoilers.
PM
^
knox
 Posted: Sep 28 2015, 11:14 AM

basically a ghost

Awards:

user posted image

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

so! while i have delayed in beginning my spooktober horror movie marathon, i was able to catch hausu on TCM the other night and it was all shades of wonderful. feverish, memorable, and highly stylized, i give this film a high rating on the scream scale. 8/10 would watch again.
PM
^
abbey
 Posted: Oct 1 2015, 06:16 AM

Awards:

K HAVE YOU STARTED YOUR J-HORROR

those hausu pictures are psychedelic and amazing!! thank you for posting them. they are a perfect representation of my moods: a cat, surprised by my skeleton hand, a spooky cat and a geisha, dancing with a skeleton. we've all been there, right?
PMEmail
^
abbey
 Posted: Oct 2 2015, 07:42 AM

Awards:

user posted image

tonight i watched the pyramid. this movie has a few cool posters, which is a shame, because the movie itself is scarabtacularly bad.

spoilers below!

the good: props to an original setting for horror. i haven't seen egypt in a horror movie since exorcist: the beginning, and the undisturbed tomb of an old civilisation is overripe for it. i went into it excited to see a mummy for once! we don't get mummies anymore. we see several traps -- floor collapses, spike pits, a chamber filling up with sand! almost none of them are lethal, but y'know.

the bad: so much of it is bad. the script, the characters, the acting, the needless inclusion of found footage. the spitting in the face of egyptian mythology. the CGI is close, but i think the dialogue takes the cake for worst thing.

the ugly: i was expecting a mummy and i didn't get one. instead i got...

user posted image
user posted image

mutated sphynx cats who were trapped in the pyramid and have been feeding off each other for generations? toxic fungi spores? ANUBIS? yes, anubis is the monster.

if you think that sounds kind of cool, rest assured it isn't. it could've been!

THERE IS ONE MUMMY IN THIS PYRAMID AND IT NEVER COMES BACK TO LIFE.
PMEmail
^
abbey
 Posted: Oct 3 2015, 11:02 PM

Awards:

courtesy of xander
PMEmail
^
Poette
 Posted: Oct 7 2015, 11:22 PM

Awards:

user posted image
Black Swan Screenplay

I happen to be one of those people who wastes time on imdb.com. ANYWAYS. In case you have any interest in reading the screenplay of Black Swan, here it is. I guess it could fit in a horror/thriller/psychological category. I've never actually seen the movie, but y'know, you could just watch the film instead. I mean, it's probably one of those things you have to see with all the ballet in it...

PM
^
knox
 Posted: Oct 12 2015, 02:56 PM

basically a ghost

Awards:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

so so! last week i watched kairo for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. it has a compelling premise with some deeply unsettling scenes. the slow, agonizing pace suits the film's overall tone quite well. there are no jump scares (for better or for worse) and it does have kind of a crappy, haphazard ending with little payoff, but the eery moments that soak up the first 25-30 minutes make the watch worthwhile. 10/10 first half hour, 7/10 for the whole shebang. even if the message does get murky toward the last act, kairo probably set the standard for asian new wave horror.

(it was filmed in 2000 so it's got plenty of clips like these which are fun for anybody who remembers a time before the internet had such an invasive presence)

PM
^
knox
 Posted: Oct 12 2015, 03:41 PM

basically a ghost

Awards:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

not remotely scary.
WATCH THIS NOW. you will not be disappointed. user posted image/10.
master of wtf sion sono brings you another masterpiece founded on zany visuals and whacked out morals.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

PM
^
abbey
 Posted: Oct 18 2015, 01:34 AM

Awards:

i love the posters for kairo and black swan. i've watched black swan, and the makeup and bodily weirdness in that movie are very visually striking. i enjoy the concept of it too.
  that you can create this whole other id/person with a consciousness and desires in opposition to your own. tying it in with the swan lake story which is already about light/dark and mirror images was clever.

neopets has slain me.

k, i thought that was blood spurting from the wounds until i remembered it was exte and all about hair. hair coming out of cavities. hurgh. the visuals are so bizarre. love it!

i've been bustling and preparing for my trip, but i squeezed in the loved ones (aussie horror) and the first couple episodes of hemlock grove.
PMEmail
^
knox
 Posted: Oct 4 2016, 11:45 AM

basically a ghost

Awards:

it's heeeeere.
user posted image
autumn, guys!
~all the leaves are brown
and the sky is grey
gratuitously pumpkin spiced foodstuffs are abound
halloween is on a monday.~

it is a time for SPOOKY TUNES and fun size candy. to celebrate i am finally going to watch it follows and other more shitty horror flicks in the spirit of holidays and v/h/s. i will also continue my short-lived asian horror marathon.

welcome back to nyc, october. i have missed you.

i am thinking of starting off with either or both of these:
user posted image
two women standing in dark corridors with their arms at their sides- you know these are gonna be good

i will come back to post about them between all the life stuff that pretends to be more important and interesting than BM.

anyways, please join me in posting anything and everything spooktober!

what are you looking forward to the most?
are you going to dress up for halloween and get lit or enjoy a nice quiet evening at home?
do you partake in a different seasonal tradition?
would you eat candy corn flavored oreos?

WOULD YOU?
PM
^
XANDER
 Posted: Oct 5 2016, 12:09 PM

local advice god
Group: Admin

Awards:

AWW YISS SPOOKTOBERFEST IS BACK
  1. i will bring candy-corn flavored oreos to work and dare everyone to eat them.
  2. we are allowed to dress-up at work for the holiday and i am trying to convince everyone to do a Game of Thrones theme with me.
  3. there is also the at-home halloween party, which will be Edgar Allen Poe themed. i am considering having A SECOND COSTUME for this. i am out of control.
  4. so what will i do that saturday night? i do not know. i have turned into that person that Has One Beer and Gets Tired.

i am most looking forward to my edgar allen poe party. i need to figure out what creepy poem to recite!!!

--------------------
user posted image

PMWebsiteAIMYIMMSN
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
Shadowplay Roleplay Gateway Fragile Things

skin created by they-go of RCR, CAUTION, they go and wombat designs