barbermonger: a one on one roleplay search forum

WELCOME TO BARBERMONGER
WHAT IS BARBERMONGER?

BARBERMONGER is a site designed to help roleplayers find other roleplayers, specifically one-on-one roleplayers, as opposed to larger roleplay games. Functioning like a pinboard, BARBERMONGER allows users to create advertisements, bump advertisements, and respond to other advertisements, without requiring them to register an account. However, registering an account will allow you to edit your posts, find your own topics, and use the private messaging system.

HELPFUL LINKS:

BARBERMONGER RULES
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
TODAY'S ACTIVE TOPICS
MEMBERS
SEARCH WITH JCINK
SEARCH WITH GOOGLE

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

red flags in writing ads
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 13 2016, 11:40 AM

trash prince
Group: Members

Awards:

QUOTE (asha)
I once was emailed by someone who wanted to write two of the same roleplay at the same time, with each of us playing each role in one of them. I can't think of a way that would ever work out.

i'm curious about this, could you please expand ? do you mean in the sense of, i'm gonna use k's country x city example, you had one thread where you were the citygoer and they were the country one, and another in which they were the citygoer etc ?

if so, i actually had a thread like that once. it was... interesting. one of the better roleplays i've had, though it was with a partner i trust 200%. i don't know if it would've worked with many other people.
but it was a twisted alice in wonderland type setup, where wonderland was very much a mirror world of the real one. and so there existed a 'regular alice' and a 'wonderland alice' and when 'regular alice' fell down the rabbit hole, everything went batshit. the general idea was an everchanging landscape that was being effected by every choice regular alice made, and wonderland alice was then effected by the changing wonderland.
we had the two threads going at the same time pretty much, but both roleplays ended up being completely different and even our interpretations of either alice were almost unrecognizable as having started as 'the same' plot idea.

again though, i don't know if that's something i'd do with just anyone. it requires a certain level of trust, especially with the amount of mirroring we put in to make the alices actual mirrored versions of each other.

And EMAIL CLIENTS seriously!

the first flag that started this entire discussion !

so, say someone has what i'm gonna call an 'otherwise perfect' ad. you get to the bottom and realize they have a yahoo based email account. is that enough to completely disqualify them ?
if no, how many other red flags does it take ?

which brings up another point,
how much is anyone willing to stand ? are these absolute dealbreakers ? or just personal preferences ? are you willing to overlook one glaring fault over several little ones, or is even one little one enough to make you think it's not worth it ?
(the latter being my experience with dating websites @ bird)

Aaaand with that said I'm going to go think about making an ad. An ad with no red flags... maybe?

lol tbh this was one goal of this thread ! keeping in mind that everyone has their own preferences and interests, i was curious as to overall themes or what have you with content in ads that makes people less likely to contact someone. sure, no writer is gonna be everyone's cup of tea, but maybe there's a formula to writing ads to minimize the things that make people think twice, in the same way there are formulas to writing dating ads.
PMEmail
^
mellery
 Posted: Apr 13 2016, 11:44 AM

Awards:

i actually get put off by formality/strict grammar rules in ads - i don't like things being that serious and i have difficulty spelling a lot. ofc i always spellcheck before sending a post, but i like ooc to be pretty loose. otherwise my butt gets anxieties.

hm other things:
-when people list characters they have and...no diversity
-short ads! i like information
-when people list pairings but not plots, i've really gone off pairing based rp...
-faceclaims make me uncomfortable a lot of the time
-people who seem pushy or aggressive, like saying things like 'we WILL do x' rather than just listing what they're interested in, i don't like going into a partnership feeling like there's a fight

in terms of what i'll ignore though, other than offensiveness i can go with any of these so long as there's a real good plot/theme suggested
PMEmail
^
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 13 2016, 12:01 PM

trash prince

Awards:

QUOTE (mellery)
i actually get put off by formality/strict grammar rules in ads - i don't like things being that serious and i have difficulty spelling a lot. ofc i always spellcheck before sending a post, but i like ooc to be pretty loose. otherwise my butt gets anxieties.

YUP

-short ads! i like information

oohh. so how short is too short ? how much information do you generally look for in your ads ?

also, on the complete flipside, is there specific information that anyone actively seeks out in ads ?

and @ everyone else who said long ads, how long is too long ? i know k mentioned preferring brevity... where does anyone else look ?
i already mentioned this but... when there is just paragraphs and paragraphs of information. i feel a tad overwhelmed.
PMEmail
^
mellery
 Posted: Apr 13 2016, 12:33 PM

Awards:

eheh i really like reading people's info and i haven't seen an ad that's too long for me, but what i look for most is;
-basic info (age, pronouns?, name, experience)
-limits
-how they like to interact with their partner
-a few plots they've thought of
-themes they like

without the plot/setting/theme details i just don't know how to message someone!

extra information that i love are things that inspire them and the sorts of characters they like to play, i think i have a whole page on my site that's just things i like reading/watching

having said that i do have problems reading lots of information, so whenever i see an ad i want to respond to i copypaste into a doc and space it out line by line. same with rp replies, i can deal with a lot of information so long as it's bullet pointed
PMEmail
^
knox
 Posted: Apr 13 2016, 01:29 PM

basically a ghost

Awards:

QUOTE (alyeska @ Apr 13 2016, 11:54 AM)

lol k, our resident fun stealer.

jk i think you're wonderful and i agree 100%. but also like i did make this thread knowing there was a possibility to step on toes oops,

... i just get carried away.

user posted image
PM
^
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 14 2016, 11:13 AM

trash prince

Awards:

QUOTE (knox @ Apr 13 2016, 01:29 PM)

jk i think you're wonderful and i agree 100%. but also like i did make this thread knowing there was a possibility to step on toes oops,

user posted image

candid shot of k in no fun land thinking about all of the odd pairings out there:

user posted image

hide ur odd pairings hide ur casual ooc chatter k "The Pressure" is coming for you
user posted image
PMEmail
^
knox
 Posted: Apr 14 2016, 11:19 AM

basically a ghost

Awards:

QUOTE (alyeska @ Apr 14 2016, 12:13 PM)
QUOTE (knox @ Apr 13 2016, 01:29 PM)

user posted image

candid shot of k in no fun land thinking about all of the odd pairings out there:

user posted image

hide ur odd pairings hide ur casual ooc chatter k "The Pressure" is coming for you
user posted image

user posted image
PM
^
Jimlockian2
 Posted: Dec 9 2016, 05:22 PM

Awards:
N/A

I got bored and flipped through this for ideas to improve my own ads and, while I realize the thread is old, want to throw out this thought...

I agree 100% with Asha that reading people only write a certain sex can be an annoying. It suggests a lack of ability or that there is some issue with writing that gender for that particular person. However if their ad does not state some hurdle causing them to be incapable, consider asking why! It may not be a red flag of inability but simply a preference.

The reason I suggest this is because I am a prime case of this. I never seek out female based roles which may lead some to think I don't write females. Smut with females sells and M/F is easier to find positions for. If I feel up for writing a female, I write to sell. But I have yet to sell any gay erotica, so all my requests for RP end up being M/M since this is the only way I can excersize my gay characters. My ads definitely come off looking like I am male-centric and skip female characters because of that unfortunately.

So if you really think someone is great and are put off by one detail, ask them! Maybe the reason isn't what you think. You could land a fantastic partner (=
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
Shadowplay Roleplay Gateway Fragile Things

skin created by they-go of RCR, CAUTION, they go and wombat designs