barbermonger: a one on one roleplay search forum

WELCOME TO BARBERMONGER
WHAT IS BARBERMONGER?

BARBERMONGER is a site designed to help roleplayers find other roleplayers, specifically one-on-one roleplayers, as opposed to larger roleplay games. Functioning like a pinboard, BARBERMONGER allows users to create advertisements, bump advertisements, and respond to other advertisements, without requiring them to register an account. However, registering an account will allow you to edit your posts, find your own topics, and use the private messaging system.

HELPFUL LINKS:

BARBERMONGER RULES
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
TODAY'S ACTIVE TOPICS
MEMBERS
SEARCH WITH JCINK
SEARCH WITH GOOGLE

Add Reply
New Poll

fast-casual subforum?, maybe in forum games or something idk
Lar
 Posted: Jun 23 2015, 11:59 AM

viewing online list
Group: Moderator

Awards:

23 Jun 15, 11:50 AM
lar: i wonder if xander would be open to having a subforum that's for instant reply content? writing jams and super-quick little rps
23 Jun 15, 11:51 AM
alaska: idk SUGGESTION BOX TIME ?
k: omg lar
lar: everything in the subforum gets nuked if it doesn't get posted on in thirty minutes or whatever
k: i was going to post an ad for a one-liner rp
lar: and then you can like trial your rp partners on there and see how you write together before you commit

so i don't know if this could be done practically, but with the summer season maybe we could trial something to model the quick-response style of neopets? is there a way to auto-mod a subforum to delete/freeze threads if they go a certain length of time without replies? i think it could stimulate more quick and casual roleplaying and writing with those of us who are constantly writing with a stick up our butts (cough lar cough), as well build community on the summer evenings when a lot of us are probably going to be bored on the internet? plus then some of the semi-serious quick chats that go on in the cbox can be expanded into threads with more in-depth discussions.

i'm curious how many people would actually participate in something like this.

alternately, i'd be open to running a strictly-timed writing jam once a week or so if the community would be interested in that instead.
PMEmailAIM
^
knox
 Posted: Jun 23 2015, 12:04 PM

basically a ghost
Group: Members

Awards:

ME ME ME ME

if there is a way i am DOWN. if there is not a way... phooey, but i'm game to join in on any writing jam anyway.
PM
^
totally lame idiot
 Posted: Jun 23 2015, 03:38 PM

Awards:

i have a mighty need how would this happen tho
PM
^
XANDER
 Posted: Jun 24 2015, 01:32 AM

tiefling bard
Group: Admin

Awards:

i don't think i can get threads to auto-delete or auto-archive themselves, but i can rig a forum up to only display topics made that day, and i can go behind you and archive your threads on the daily (it's like two buttons)

if you can get one more of you crazy kids to vote yes on this, i'll tentatively enable this thursday! if people like it and participate, i'll keep it!

--------------------
user posted image

PMWebsiteAIMYIMMSN
^
Poette
 Posted: Jun 24 2015, 10:41 AM

Awards:

I like this idea, though not sure how it works in practice entirely. / Or how many people would actually be up for using it (I'd like to be surprised and hope that more people get into it.)

Wouldn't be around on Thursday to participate unfortunately. ):
PM
^
alyeska
 Posted: Jun 24 2015, 11:12 AM

trash prince

Awards:

I would vote yes !
I think a 30 min time frame is probably too short for some of us who write at work or something, but I like the idea of something that could offer a daily turnover (if enough of us could participate)

Also I kinda agree with poets but maybe what we could do is like, advertise here to get a little site interest in the people who look for 1x1s and also try to get some neo participants ? It's becoming a lot harder to lure people off site but I'm sure there are people still on sites like neo and Gaia who would probably enjoy somewhere similar w/o the limits or unfriendly modding teams
PMEmail
^
XANDER
 Posted: Jun 24 2015, 12:51 PM

tiefling bard

Awards:

1. for advertisements, you can use the ones we have here! and if you keep track of the ads you post, i'll give you cake.

2. so far, we have agreed on:
    • the forum having daily turnover
    • posting limit between thirty minutes to an hour?

@poette: it'll be up longer than thursday! i'll let it run for a month or two and see what folks like. we did have a shoutbox at one point that was geared for "instant" roleplaying, but it never seemed to work out, so we got rid of it. hopefully this will work better!
PMWebsiteAIMYIMMSN
^
XANDER
 Posted: Jun 25 2015, 04:19 PM

tiefling bard

Awards:

PMWebsiteAIMYIMMSN
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
Shadowplay Roleplay Gateway Fragile Things

skin created by they-go of RCR, CAUTION, they go and wombat designs