barbermonger: a one on one roleplay search forum

WELCOME TO BARBERMONGER
WHAT IS BARBERMONGER?

BARBERMONGER is a site designed to help roleplayers find other roleplayers, specifically one-on-one roleplayers, as opposed to larger roleplay games. Functioning like a pinboard, BARBERMONGER allows users to create advertisements, bump advertisements, and respond to other advertisements, without requiring them to register an account. However, registering an account will allow you to edit your posts, find your own topics, and use the private messaging system.

HELPFUL LINKS:

BARBERMONGER RULES
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
TODAY'S ACTIVE TOPICS
MEMBERS
SEARCH WITH JCINK
SEARCH WITH GOOGLE

Add Reply
New Poll

Genres, Why do you write the genres you write?
eurekagold
 Posted: Jul 4 2017, 03:24 AM

Group: Members

Awards:

Questions time! As common sense dictates, please be respectful. You can dislike a certain genre without being rude about it. biggrin.gif

1. What genres do you write?

2. What decided you upon those genres? How did you get into them?

3. What genre was your first RP?

4. Have you tried other genres and decided you just did not like them? What about them did you not like?

5. If you have never tried other genres, why not?

6. If you play multiple genres, is there one or two that you most prefer?

7. Are there particular sub-genres you really like, and why?

8. Are there any genres that you would play, if only you could find the right partner?

--------------------
Usually accepting new RP partners.
Check out my website for details.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail
^
eurekagold
 Posted: Jul 4 2017, 03:35 AM

Awards:

Fantasy, science fiction, steampunk, supernatural

The first novels my dad ever read to us as kids were The Hobbit, the Narnia series, and Sword of Shannara. I absolutely loved the rich fantasy worlds, the strange creatures, and the sense of wonderment they brought. I would pretend I was an elf, or a hobbit, or a dragon, or whatever else I could think of. That progressed to my reading fantasy novels on my own, which led me to sci fi and eventually to urban fantasy/supernatural books. Steampunk is a very new venture for me. It spun off of the fantasy worlds and kind of just naturally appeared. A few steampunk elements started popping up in some of my RPs, and I decided it was fun.

3. What genre was your very first RP?
Light sci fi-meets fantasy. It was gods-awful writing and even worse sci fi. Yet it was what got me into RPing, so I still love it. XD

4. Have you tried other genres and decided you just did not like them? What about them did you not like?
Slice-of-life: I RP to live in another world and escape my own for a while. Slice-of-life bores me. I'm sure its a wonderful genre, but after several attempts, I finally realised it is just not for me.

Celebrity: I don't even care about real celebrities, let alone fake ones. I just can't find any excitement for it.

High School: I have no need to relive those years! ohmy.gif

Zombies: They freak me out. *Shudder*

N/A

Fantasy and supernatural.

Urban/modern fantasy/supernatural. I love the idea of an alternate modern world with fairies, and dragons, and demons all living out their lives. The fae secretary giving you the perfect scowl when you forget to sign the papers she put on your desk. The dragon who moves from collecting gold to collecting stocks. The demon who wants everyone to stop acting like he is going to take their soul when he really just wants to find true love. I find it all so fun and imaginative, while still being set in a world I have experience with.

8. Are there any genres that you would play, if only you could find the right partner?
Futuristic dystopian. I have only a little experience with reading futuristic dystopian novels, none with writing such stories. I would love to give it a try, but I am a bit intimidated by people's amazing ideas and characters. >_> I need some hand holding, but I never want to ask for it.
PMEmail
^
bird
 Posted: Aug 13 2017, 09:18 PM

number one dad

Awards:

i a m g e n r e l o r d

i love genre fiction so much!! mostly i stick to science fiction and low fantasy though, and i don't really write supernatural stuff unless it's ultra-campy. i also don't write horror much, but i like to include body horror and isolation horror in my science fiction pretty frequently, and noir is a huuuuuge guilty pleasure of mine.

there was a period of time in my life where i wrote military science fiction. it was a dark, confused time and we don't speak of it.

i would love to write some kind of horror/detective procedural but i don't think i have the chops.

i mean, mostly? i just grew up reading science fiction and watching star trek! i was a pretty lonely kid, and my omnibus editions of clarke, asimov and bradbury short stories kept me company. my dad and i bonded over stanislaw lem and the strugatsky brothers. later, i obsessed over DS9 and voyager and devoured anything in the science fiction section of the library. much much later, sci-fi lead me to cyberpunk and cyberpunk lead me to noir and noir lead me to obsess over raymond chandler novels and run-on sentences.

i got other obsessions along the way: three years where i got super obsessed with naval and military history and wrote a ton of Age of Sail fantasy/horror come to mind. around age 12 or 13 was when i really started liking fantasy a little more, after coming across terry pratchett, abarat, philip pullman and the abhorsen series, and for a time in middle school i spent a lot of time doodling dragons and other cool creatures with a friend of mine for our weird fantasy world that we never quite finished. and while i was never particularly crazy about supernatural stuff or medieval/fantasy, getting medieval fantasy roleplays or vampire roleplays or what have you was easier back in the days of ye olde neoboards, so i came to value having set genre conventions since no one wanted to read 10 posts of worldbuilding before getting into smooching the angsty vampires.

nowadays i have no character limits and no fucks to give. for some reason, my roleplay partners indulge me.

3. What genre was your very first RP?

probably an anthro neopets thing. or an Age of Sail thing. i played an angry lady navy captain. i'm actually not sure if she was a person or a lupe.

slice-of-life or modern day stuff is pretty boring to me. historical stuff is hit-or-miss - i like to do a lot of research, so unless i know the time period particularly well or there's something else to it that makes it especially compelling, i probably won't do it. i did a 1900's new york mafia roleplay once that was fun, but i probably wouldn't do it again

straight up horror gets old because you kind of have to keep raising the stakes and it very quickly stops being about, like, the characters and the way they escape the situation and more about just making them suffer.

i have played too many angsty vampire boyfriends on AIM to ever want to repeat that particular experience.

steampunk probably, because fuck steampunk

science fiction or weird fantasy shit

post-cyberpunk, and really just this whole ~new weird~ thing that's happening right now. i don't have any particular genre that i like so much as i really enjoy taking elements from multiple genres and re-incorporating them into something new.

i will always love space operas, though, god help me.

i'd love to write some sort of scheme-y political thriller; some kind of pseudo-fantasy-venice, with hired assassins and duels and endless machinations. or shit, you know what? take that political backstabbing and set it in space! failing that, some wacky numenara far-flung techno-wizardry -- gimme some cyborg wizards and space whales.

i also would love to write some sort of espionage caper someday, and i have a few ideas regarding werewolves and westerns that i'd love to play around with. i also have some Serious Ideas about post-communist revolution russia and slavic folklore that i've been trying to chew into a story for years now.

other than that idk lol. the right partner is everything! i'd probably write just about anything with the right partner.

except steampunk vampires. please don't make me do that.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
Shadowplay Roleplay Gateway Fragile Things

skin created by they-go of RCR, CAUTION, they go and wombat designs