barbermonger: a one on one roleplay search forum

WELCOME TO BARBERMONGER
WHAT IS BARBERMONGER?

BARBERMONGER is a site designed to help roleplayers find other roleplayers, specifically one-on-one roleplayers, as opposed to larger roleplay games. Functioning like a pinboard, BARBERMONGER allows users to create advertisements, bump advertisements, and respond to other advertisements, without requiring them to register an account. However, registering an account will allow you to edit your posts, find your own topics, and use the private messaging system.

HELPFUL LINKS:

BARBERMONGER RULES
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
TODAY'S ACTIVE TOPICS
MEMBERS
SEARCH WITH JCINK
SEARCH WITH GOOGLE
DONATE TO BARBERMONGER

Add Reply
New Poll

It's All an Adventure, EMAIL ~ mxf ~ banter ~ romance
E. Ham
 Posted: Feb 26 2018, 10:05 PM

Group: Members

Awards:
N/A

Hello! I'll probably regret this due to the mountain of upcoming exams in the next few weeks, but I'm looking for one or two more role plays to give me something to look forward to between long study sessions.

If you can be patient and put up with me sometimes responding only once a week (though I TRY to respond more often and sometimes will respond multiple times a day, if I have time), I can promise a riveting adventure with dynamic, well-fleshed out characters who are interesting and sassy and compassionate and have a realistic mixture of good and bad qualities. I can promise 2-4 descriptive paragraphs per post, often more than that. I can promise friendly OOC conversation, give-and-take plotting, and obsessing over the rp/our characters/mutual interests. I can promise that I won't take over or make assumptions for your character(s) (can't stand that), happy willingness to play multiple characters of either gender, and enthusiasm for the incredible story we're going to create.

Interested? Cool! Here are some of my hang-ups so that I don't waste any of your time:
- I only do male x female romantic pairings (but am 150% down with bromances and lady friendships)
- At this time, I reeeeeeeally want to play a female as my main. I know, I suck. I've got a few rps going on with my main dudes, but I'd really like to dust off some of my old trusty ladies and give them some love. However, as stated above, I'm happy to add in any other characters we need! I would also be willing to double, as long we give both of our characters equal effort and attention!
- Limits: None regarding violence or language, but I fade to black. Also, I should let you know in advance that I'm not overly fond of "dark" role plays. If you want to introduce dark themes, let's talk about it first. That being said, I'm also not fond of a lot of taboo themes regarding romance: huge age gaps, incest, rape, slave x master, adultery (depending on the situation, I could be open to characters cheating, just not in a marriage relationship... unless it's like a horrible arranged marriage thing and the spouse is awful... I guess I'm not ruling it out 100% but I'm hesitant to do it).
- I only rp over email.
- I rp in the 3rd person and ask that you do the same.
- I am NOT interested in fandoms, fantasy (you MIGHT entice me with a good mermaid or time travel plot... might), sci-fi, futuristic, etc.
- I A D O R E romance! I'm looking for role plays in which our main characters eventually fall in love. It doesn't have to be instant - in fact, it shouldn't be! But I am a major fan of tension, especially between characters who have known each other for a long time and maybe even had a ~thing~ in the past.
- I prefer to play characters in their twenties. I never play characters younger than 18, and I generally don't like to go older than 30.
- Also, I really prefer for my partners to be at least 18 years old.

Still with me? Excellent! Now, here's a bit more information:

- I'm okay with world-building, but to be quite honest, I don't have the time or energy to spend painstakingly crafting every aspect of the world our characters live in. I generally prefer a character-driven story that focuses on their growth and relationship; we can make up some of the details as we go or just let it be vague, if the story is otherwise sound.
- A word about historical settings: I love them. Especially medieval settings. I like to find a happy balance of being true to the times but sort of glossing over things like the plague. Regarding females of that time, I tend to enjoy pushing the boundaries that society dictates and having a main character that rebels against the norm - to a point. I'm not big on having female warriors or knights, but a woman who can defend herself? Yes please. I'm no historian; I like to bend aspects of time periods without completely breaking them.

Onto a few ideas I have! I don't exactly have a list of pairings and plots, but I do have a few character ideas that I'm going to briefly describe. If any of these appeals to you, we can get something going!

FYI, my female characters vary, but they're all generally strong-willed, independent, and a touch feisty. No limp noodles here. Some are more bossy than others, but they're all forces to be reckoned with. I'd love to see them paired with strong male characters! Or maybe kind, gentle fellows who totally take my lady by surprise and bewilder her, idk. We can do any pairing imaginable with with any of the following, or any variant of my character ideas. Just let me know what you think!

Anything in purple is what I'm particularly craving! But don't let that limit you c;

Medieval ~
1. A noblewoman who is bored of life at court and who has decided to forsake the esteem of her peers to become a physician. She might work in the city, treating the wealthy and mending knights' wounds, even seeing royalty; or she might have ditched her cushy life altogether and decided to work in the outlying villages. Or perhaps she works primarily in combat.
2. A noblewoman who goes through the motions but quietly rebels against society's expectations. Similar to above, but she hasn't quite broken free of that lifestyle - yet? Maybe she gets swept up in some sort of adventure or has some court drama or an arranged marriage she hopes to escape from.
3. A princess who is devoted to her family but perhaps doesn't share their ideals. Ugh, I'm hesitant to play a princess because of how cliche it is, but I promise I could make this interesting. Even if we do something like a princess x knight or a princess x kidnapper trope, my character will not be your bland Mary Sue type.
4. Princess or noblewoman who is separated from her family at a young age and is raised by peasants. I've got some vague ideas for how to go about this.
5. Noblewoman who gets swept up into rebellion/espionage/political intrigue?
6. Manipulative matchmaker who pairs everyone else up to cover up her own insecurities and fear of intimacy?

Other Historical Settings ~
1. Regency Period - I'd love to do something inspired by Jane Austen's works. I've been itching to try out a character similar to Elizabeth Bennet or Emma Woodhouse.
1. Maayyyybbbeeeee WWII. I'm hesitant. We could do a nurse x soldier bit or something.

Modern ~
Okay, I pretty much use the same basic character for most of my modern settings, but I can change up some details based on what we end up doing. Career-wise, I generally play teachers, artists/musicians, fitness instructors, doctors/nurses, veterinarians, waitresses, or maybe something else. Usually depends on the age of our characters. Here are a few ideas I have, but I'm open to others:

1. Exes reunite - maybe one or both are seeing someone else, maybe there's deep-rooted anger and resentment, but eventually they can't deny the fact that they're still madly in love.
2. Best friends slowly fall in love - perhaps it's one-sided at first, but over time, the other comes around.
3. Our characters meet while on a double date with other people and develop feelings? The couples spend more and more time together, and the attraction grows. Throw in some relationship drama, and boom.
4. There are so many other things we could do, so suggest!
Also, any of the above can be applied to other time periods - especially medieval because that's my fave.

Please PM me or post here if you're interested! When you contact me, please give me an idea of what interests you so that I don't have to pull teeth to get information out of you. c; I look forward to hearing from you!

Oh, one last thing - character sheets. Please let me know how you feel about them! I'm super flexible! We can do brief descriptions with or without pictures, full profiles, pinterest boards, OR none of the above and just flesh them out throughout the role play. c:
PM
^
E. Ham
 Posted: Feb 27 2018, 11:21 AM

Awards:
N/A

bumpity~
PM
^
Heron
 Posted: Feb 27 2018, 09:39 PM

Unregistered
Group: Guests

Awards:

Hey there! I think i'd be down to do a jane austen inspired rp with you (: My name is Heron! My email is heronrp321@gmail.com if you want to chat about it. I think we'd be good partners, we seem quite similar! I'm in university as well, so once a week sounds fine to me! <3 Also, I like character sheets, but I love pinterest boards for aesthetic purposes!
^
E. Ham
 Posted: Feb 27 2018, 09:54 PM

Awards:
N/A

Just emailed you! C:
PM
^
E. Ham
 Posted: Feb 28 2018, 06:50 PM

Awards:
N/A

Another smol bump! C: Would love one or two more role plays!
PM
^
E. Ham
 Posted: Mar 15 2018, 10:54 PM

Awards:
N/A

Bump! Finally have a little more spare time and am able to tack on a couple more, woohoo! TBH I'm not completely unwilling to play males, but I'll be a little more selective than usual with partners wanting to play female.
PM
^
E. Ham
 Posted: Mar 16 2018, 06:15 PM

Awards:
N/A

ba-bump!
Ugh, should probably think of other interests to put on here but am too lazy
PM
^
E. Ham
 Posted: Mar 17 2018, 10:00 PM

Awards:
N/A

Craving a good ol’ princess x guard/knight rp right now...
I have a new princess character I’d like to spend some time developing
PM
^
E. Ham
 Posted: Mar 18 2018, 03:50 PM

Awards:
N/A

bump
PM
^
E. Ham
 Posted: Mar 18 2018, 11:43 PM

Awards:
N/A

Ugh you guys, I know how corny the whole princess x knight situation is.
But still. I want.
My main medieval lady is an outspoken rebel of sorts (love her, love playing her), but I'd love to delve more into this newer one as well - she's well-bred, clever, perhaps a tad manipulative but generally has good intentions. Would love to put her up against a man who appreciates her mind but also learns to see through her bullshit.
PM
^
E. Ham
 Posted: Mar 19 2018, 01:34 PM

Awards:
N/A

Edited the post to indicate that I'd be down for doubling!
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
Fast Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
Shadowplay Roleplay Gateway Fragile Things

skin created by they-go of RCR, CAUTION, they go and wombat designs